Monday, October 26, 2009

A New Schedule...a very Flexible Schedule.

Before I write out my post, I want to thank everyone who left comments or emailed me in regards to my last post. Thank you for loving me and praying for me.

In an effort to get some priorities in order and enjoy my life more, I've been working on a schedule for myself and our household.

It's almost funny to say that because we're such a fly by the seat of our pants kinda family. But contrary to popular belief, this family of four does like some sort of structure.

I wrote out two lists (yes, a list) one with things that need to be done everyday. Like making beds and brushing teeth and putting on a bra.

The second list is all the chores that need to be done weekly divided up from Monday-Saturday. One of my new goals is to have Sunday truly be a day of rest.

Here's an idea of what my list looks like (this is still a rough draft):

Monday: Vacuum and Dust, 2 loads of laundry
Tuesday: Clean the bathroom, sweep the entryways (front door and sliding glass door) and sweep the kitchen.
Wednesday: Run errands, clean up around the outside of house (read: clean up after the dogs)
Thursday: Vacuum and Dust (yes, again. I do this way more than I should so I'm cutting it back to twice a week) load of laundry, mop kitchen and bathroom
Friday: Clean out the fridge, menu plan, grocery shop and sweep the entryway again
Saturday: Change the sheets on beds and do any maintenance stuff needing done.

It's pretty basic. But I think that's good for me.

One of the nice things about being a SAHM is that my days are flexible. If I'm needed somewhere besides home on a certain day, my chores for that day can wait a week and it won't be the end of the world. (Must remember this when I freak out!)

Already my day has run much smoother than any day I've had in a long time.

I think I could get used to this.

Gerber3

7 comments:

Miriam said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my weekly/daily schedules! I function fine and dandy without them, but when I really follow them, man, things are just so much easier for some reason!

Giordi said...

Have you thought about doing all your laundry on one day? (not that I do) But your dryer is much more efficient if you switch loads when it's still warm. Clothes dry faster and you use less energy. Just a thought.

Kristie said...

Did you save scrubbing toilets, sinks & showers for Josh...heehee???

Hey, the men use them...they can help clean them :)

Good luck with your lists!! I live and breathe by mine...helps release the paraylizing-ness of "where should I start"...plus you get to check stuff of when you get done! A nice little pat on the back for a job well done! :)

And yeah I feel I can make up words when I comment on your blog especially!! heehee Love ya!

JerriLynn said...

I actually did a similar thing back when our kids were still at home, worked great. I normally had my "chores" for the day done long before lunch, and on the days I worked outside the home, I just did half before work and the other half after. good job Sarah. maybe I should try it again...hmmm

Sarah said...

Giordi, I used to do all of my laundry in one day. It just meant that it was once or twice a month and it took me allll day to do it.

I might use more power, gas, etc. but if it keeps my sanity, I'm all about it.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like a great plan, Sarah!

I don't function w/o lists - so I'm proud of you for making one.

And keep reminding yourself NOT to FREAK OUT when the day comes that you don't get everything done.....it's bound to happen - but don't let it beat you!

denise said...

Sounds good! I'm loving the lists, as always. I live by these things and it's a big help.

I also schedule in a couple fun things with my kiddo - like a weekly trip to the library, where we'll sit together and read books. She loves the schedule almost as much as I do!