Saturday, August 02, 2014

Summer Swimming

It's been pretty, stinkin' hot where we live (southeastern WA) for over a week. Like 106 hot.

A few days ago I took the girls to the pool a few towns over. It set me back $12 to get in. (Translated to 2.5 Starbucks drinks) I was a little surprised at how much it cost.  We were there about 90 minutes and then we were all just kinda over the water and the sun and the ridiculous amounts of other bodies surrounding us. A couple of days go by, it's still hot but not as hot. About 95. The girls ask if we can go swimming again.

I agreed, but said we'd go a bit earlier in the day so we could hit Free Swim.  Friends, I was not going to pay another $12. And boy am I glad I didn't. Those little stinkers of mine swam for 20 minutes then said the water was too cold and they'd like to go home. 20 minute drive, 20 minute swim, 20 minute drive home. 

Let us back up. The evening before the 20 minute swim day had been a brutal one at our house. I had about a good (read: terrible) couple of hours filled with self doubt, anxiety, hysteria, crying, and yelling. I found myself locked in the bathroom. It was some of my worst moments in the history of moments. 

So Thursday morning I woke up and I felt like my brain was not so foggy. I went for a six mile run, then when the girls woke up asking about swimming, I agreed, but wanted to talk to them first. I explained how sorry I was for the night before and days before of the yelling, short tempered, crabby me that they'd been dealing with. I cried. Spice cried. Sugar knelt in front of me and held and patted my hands.

"We forgive you, Mama." They said.

And my tears fell some more.


So after the beautiful moments of forgiveness and the 20 minute swim, we had coffee. 

Betty invited us to swim with her yesterday.  It was a fantastic couple of hours visiting with her whilst getting a tan. The only thing that could have made it better was alcoholic beverages. (Betty, next time, we'll replace kids with adult beverages.) The girls played hard and within ten minutes of leaving Betty's I find this:

What you can't see is the drool on Sugar's shoulder. It was really attractive. Spice walked into the house, crashed on the couch at 4:45 and didn't wake til 6:30. 

This morning.

Almost 14 hours that child slept.

Angels sang.

I danced.

Swimming is a good time. We enjoy it. The girls are getting more and more comfortable and I find myself breathing a little easier this year letting them in the water.

I said a little. 

I'm still a worry wart.

Of course.

Hoping to get out on the river some night this week after Josh is off work.  Boat time is so relaxing.

When I'm not worrying...

No comments: