Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's {only} Kindergarten

Kindergarten starts for Sugar in less than a month.

I'd be lyin' if I said I wasn't skerd.

Before Sugar was even born Josh and I knew that we'd be homeschooling our kids. Yes, us. The ones without a college education. We know it freaks people out. Heck, it freaks us out. But, right now, it's what we feel called to do.

I have the curriculum. I have the kid. Most importantly, I have God. I know I couldn't do it without Him.

I've voiced my fears a couple of times to a few people only to hear, "remember, it's just Kindergarten."

I always wanna respond, "uh huh, what's yer point?" (i'm gonna rock home school with my grammar and spelling, huh?)

However, I don't respond that way. I take in what's said.

I remember only two things about my Kindergarten year: my first friend, a boy named Peter, and falling asleep on the bus everyday on the way home from school.

While the two memories I have of that year are fond and funny memories, I want Sugar to have many more. I'm so so so looking forward to this time with her. I'm also looking forward to seeing how much Spice will pick up as well. She's observant and loves to listen - it's the whole holding still thing we need to work on.

To me, it's not just Kindergarten. As if Kindergarten is no big deal. Kindergarten is a big deal.

It'll be our first year to truly make a pointed effort in teaching/learning. Yes, yes I should have been making a pointed effort long before now but that's the way it often goes with a firstborn. They're the guinea pig. (I'm a guinea pig, I'm okay with it)

It'll be learning how to get Spice to pay attention too.

It'll be getting up early each day. Having a routine.

It'll be sticking to a commitment I've made.

It'll be a process of learning. Not just about adding or subtracting. Or geography or science. But about each other and how to work together.

It'll be learning to be patient. For Sugar and for me.

It'll be one, fat, beautiful mess.

And, I think I'm ready for it.

you know, mostly.

8 comments:

Never "Society" Norm said...

I am so proud of you, Sarah! You will make a GREAT homeschool mama! =) And remember you always have me just a phone call away if you need to talk, vent, or have questions that I may or may not be able to answer. ;D
Love ya!

Brittany said...

I was scared to death. We started last Thursday and it's awesome. Actually a lot easier than I thought. You'll do great!

Unknown said...

I have so much respect for parents who choose to home school their children. It's something I've never thought about doing for mine. Hell, I'm going BACK to school to become a teacher myself.

Kudos to you for giving this opportunity to your girls. Home schooled, public schooled, private schooled...it doesn't matter how our children are educated as long as they are given an education by a person who has compassion, enthusiasm and a desire to see children succeed.

You're gonna do great!!

Leanne said...

Sarah, you CAN DO IT!!!!!

Girl, if I can, anyone can. Trust me!

Here's what we do for preschool/kindergarten:

Hooked on Phonics.

That's it.

We concentrate on learning to read and that' it for the first year.

And maybe there's a tiny bit of learning to write letters thrown in.

But we don't stress out about the tons of elaborate curriculum out there for beginners. That was so overwhelming to me when I was just starting!

So, that's just a peek into our world. I hope it encourages you not to stress and not to be too scheduled.

I'll be looking forward to how it's going.

Unknown said...

Sarah, don't let anyone discourage you! Homeschooling DOES work!!! I was homeschooled, and I am semi-normal, I like to think!:) Many people will tell you that your child will miss out on social things, but that isn't true! I went to school for my first five years, and then was homeschooled the rest, but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything being homeschooled vs. going to school. I loved it, and Sugar will, too! I will be praying for you! Good Luck!!!

Dustine said...

We feel God has called us to homeschool. So, we would be disobediant if we didn't and you know He has poured an amazing amount of patience into (a lot) and a desire to learn (I never liked school till I homeschooled my kids).
Everyone (except our homeschool friends) think we are crazy. We're ok with that. We know homeschooling is the best school for our kids.

Blessings

Kristie said...

it will be an adventure for sure!

denise said...

Whew! I'm excited for both of you. I can't wait to hear how it goes.