Tuesday, February 11, 2014

pass the paper bag, please

Several months ago I was taking Spice to a doctor's appt.  While driving, my chest started to hurt, I started to sweat, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and I was finding myself a bit dizzy.  I was thinking that it was a good thing I was heading in to a dr's office because maybe the appt should be for me instead.

By the time we got to the office though, I was fine.  And ended up forgetting about the incident until a few weeks later.

I was telling Amber about what had happened and she told me it sounded like I had an anxiety attack.

Awesome.

A few months go by and we're driving to Portland to visit Josh's sister and it happens again.  We drive over the Columbia River and instead of taking a right and heading to Portland, Josh stops the Suburban in Biggs, goes to the gas station, gets me water and we sit for awhile.  Breathe, Sarah.  Breathe.

That was in August and I've been fine since.

You know, mostly.

But here in a coupla days I am flying (in an airplane!) to San Diego.  I haven't been in an airplane since 2003 and I'm a nervous wreck over the deal.  I'm scared outta my mind to be in a confined place up in the air.  Where I can't get out.  Or be the driver.  What if I can't breathe?

And then there's TSA.  I hear stories of those folk and getting groped and seriously, I don't want anyone's hands down my pants that I didn't ask to be there.

Just the airport itself is freaking me out.  Lots of junk has been happening in airports and oh my word, what if something happens while I'm in the airport?!  What if there's a bag left unattended and it starts smoking?  What if?  What if?  WHAT IF?!

I'm traveling with friends and I've thought about telling them that I'm pretty sure I'm a freak of nature but I don't wanna spoil the surprise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they make drugs for that, you know...

seriously. The only time I've ever had anything close was the feeling of claustrophobia when I went up in the St. Louis Arch. Not a pleasant feeling, at all. You have my sympathy.

Sarah said...

Panic/anxiety attacks really suck. I've learned how to talk myself through them.
I agree with the other person's comment, they do make drugs for this. Or there is always benedryl. Or alcohol. But not too much.
Tell one of the friends and have them sit with you to keep talking to you and reminding you just how safe you are.
I have flown a lot. Only in Mexico did I get felt up by a airport screener. Now you just have to stand in a machine with your arms above your head as it scans you in under 2 seconds. The best part is a screener gets to see you mostly naked or seemingly naked. It's awesome.
You can do this.