Tuesday, March 18, 2014

the bathroom remodel

Yesterday I told you that we gutted our bathroom.


Once Josh was off work yesterday we headed to Yakima to hit Home Depot for some of the goods we're going to need to put this room back together.

A couple of weeks or so ago I looked up the average cost of a bathroom remodel. 

Smokes, guys! Have you ever looked that up? Or actually paid to have a bathroom remodel done?  I was shocked to see that the average cost to have someone come in and remodel your bathroom is $15,000! 

While we get projects done rather slowly, being able to do the work ourselves on any project has saved us thousands.

My goal was to be able to complete the bathroom for about $1,000.  After last night's trip to Home Depot I realize that I'm going to have to up that amount.  Josh decided that if we're going to be doing plumbing, we may as well do it right.  So there will be changes I hadn't anticipated and this added to our costs.

Two weeks ago I ordered our flooring and got that picked up. I had originally found and liked some tile flooring that looked like wood, but after talking with my flooring dude at the store - changed my mind. 


I don't even know what it is I bought, but I know that it was a third of the price of this tile and the installation will be much easier.  Last week I ordered a 3'x 6' mirror and to my surprise they delivered it to me on Thursday.  This wasn't planned, they'd originally said I could pick it up on Friday.  I showed my appreciation by baking cookies and taking some in to them.

So. Floor and mirror and I'm at $300. Then we have last night's materials (pictured is one of two carts) and receipt:



I'm already $56 over my original goal of $1000. I'm okay with that, though. New goal is $1,500.

My friend Jen asked what my inspiration for my new bathroom looks like.

Here are a bunch of my pins from Pinterest that I'm loving:


We have a small closet in our bathroom, however, right now mine is bare drywall. No shelves. No paint. No nuffin. I want it to look similar to the picture above.


I love the chunky trim around this mirror. I want it. Need it. Must have it (or at least something similar).

Our shower right now looks like this (well, it did til I ripped it up):


On the wall is just a laminate sheet. We've decided to go with subway tile so it'll look a little more like this:




We have a window in our bathroom about this size and I plan to put a towel bar underneath it the way this picture shows. The thing I liked about this picture is the board the towel bar is attached to, it adds some character that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.  I woulda just slapped the towel bar on the wall and called it good.  I like this extra lil touch.


While I don't love all the shiz they've put on the shelves behind the toilet, I like the concept.  We'll see what actually ends up happening here.


I don't think I'll have enough room behind my door to put towel bars, but I do think I'll put hooks here instead.

And after searching website after website and store after store I finally found a shower curtain that I love. I know. A shower curtain is just a shower curtain, but I really wanted something that would be me.  In the search bar of Pinterest I entered "boho shower curtain" and found this bad girl:

Isn't she fabulous?!  Josh makes fun of me for how much I love it, but it just makes me happy and will be helpful for color inspiriation in the near future.

There it is.  My dream bathroom via Pinterest.

I'm looking forward to the finished project so I don't have to take too many more baths in my kitchen sink the way I did this morning.

1 comment:

Jen's Farmily said...

I love the towel bar feature! I never would've thought of that either but now I want to do it in our bathrooms! Towel bars always bug me anyway- there's something I just can't figure out that I don't like about them.