Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Call us Crazy

I'm pretty sure we've fallen off the Normal Wagon, the husband and me.

Josh's grandparents, Nana and Papa, got a new fridge. So, last night we helped them pick it up from Sears and got 'er all set up at their house.

Nana and Papa are two of my most favorite people in all the world. Nana is the lady who politely picked up my piece of chicken that I flung near her plate when I was just 16 and was at Josh's parents for dinner the first time. Oh my how embarrassing...

And Papa is the man who taught me to love some Cribbage.

When we found out I was pregnant with Alison, these two started praying fervently for a boy. There were already four great-granddaughters, they wanted themselves a boy to carry on the name.

Josh and I were just sure the Lord would answer their prayers, seeing as how they're not so young and all and He'd answer the prayers more of the old folks.

We were wrong. May 4th, we added the fifth great-granddaughter. We were seriously scared to call Nana and tell her that the family name would not be continuing...at least not from us. She assured us she was okay with that.

And we believed her.

Til last night.

As we were leaving, she hugs Jaylee, talks some baby talk to Ali and as I'm strapping the girls in she says to me...

"Now it's time for that boy!"

I laughed at her.

Silly crazy lady.

She says, "Now, I don't want to interfere but we'd love a boy in the family."

I continued laughing. Nervously.

Husband comes around the side of the house and she puts an arm around him, to soften him up I'm sure...

"Now Joshua," she starts, "I don't want to interfere."

"Honey, she wants us to have another baby."

He laughs but I'm pretty sure he'd rather not have. Pretty sure the laugh was for Nana's sake.

"Now Nana, I don't know about that. We'll have to see what God says about that."

I'm pretty much wanting to hide, I'm not sure I want to know what God says about that. What if He wants us to have another baby!?

She sends us on our way but I'm pretty sure she's sending up prayers asking the Lord for another great-grandchild, one preferably with boy parts.

We get home. I'm doing dishes. Josh is sitting at the kitchen table.

"Do we want another baby?" He asks while holding our chubby little THREE MONTH OLD.

I whip my head around. I'm torn. Just recently I've been panicking about Ali being our last child. Would I feel our family was complete if it was just the four of us? I've always wanted lots of kids...til I realized how much my body doesn't like to be pregnant.

"I don't know, do we?" Seriously. Torn.

He goes on to remind me of my most recent pregnancy. The puking. Literally all day for four months. Laying on the bathroom floor. Praying for some reprieve. I lost 15 lbs. I liked that part! :) Then, once that subsided, it was the nerve in my back, making it almost impossible to be comfortable. And then the not sleeping from March-May. Oh, who am I kidding...the not sleeping from March until now! And of course there's the part of the giving birth. Which went relatively fast this time around but still how it HURT! Someone should invent drugs so that it doesn't hurt so bad. He doesn't need to remind me of all these things.

It wasn't that long ago. I clearly remember.

But I look into the eyes of my two girls who are worth every minute of puking and laboring.

And I think...yeah, I could do it again.

7 comments:

Giordi said...

Wow, you're a brave girl. I recently had a baby too and I'm thinking adoption sounds pretty good. You know, when Jack's ready for high school. I might be ready for another one then.

Patzke's said...

Good luck with that decision. Don't do it for nana. : )If that is the only reason.

Liz said...

I KNOW! we're just letting things happen the way they happen at this point. If I found out tomorrow I was pregnant I'd be happy.

Corie said...

Decisions, decisions....
How many kids did you want? You said "lots"....

I can't even fathom another one right now. One overwhelms me at times... I don't know how I would manage with a newborn PLUS another infant or toddler.

I've told people that Chloe may be an only child.. everyone tells me that I'll change my mind. I'm not so sure....

Kristie said...

all I have to say is... "Have you met our daughter...John?" LOL

Love you!

Sarah said...

Giordi-I think dumb may be the term you're wanting to use instead of brave! :)

Treena-we wouldn't just do it for Nana, but heck if that gets us favorite grandchild pts, I'm all about it! ;)

Liz-I can't wait for you to be pregnant again!

Corie-Okay, so I used to think 4 or 5 kids. Uh huh, seriously. I know to some that isn't alot. For me, it is. We said Jaylee would be an only child and people told us the same thing, that we'd change our minds. Obviously we did, but had we not, and not known the joy of Alison-I'm sure we'd have been happy with just Jaylee.

Kristie-Okay, I'm dying. That's hilarious.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

HI Sarah!
Needed to check in with you to see how your trip went...GLAD I did! Another baby? Cool! Do you know that I've decided your generation is going to be called Baby Boomers 2 ! I see so many with 4-5-even 6 kids these days! (I used to want that many when I was young..) If it's in God's plan...so be it! The puking & laboring...awwww..give it another month or so, & you'll forget about..and like you say, the two Beautifuls girls you have now are so worth every moment!
Keep us posted !!! :)