Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When Having a Cell Phone Would Have been Beneficial

I'm house hunting for my sister.

Yesterday I took my children to see a couple of houses. It was about a 30 minute drive, driving to an area I'm not too familiar with. The directions the guy gave me were flawless. I drove straight to the first house.

And immediately wanted to roll up my windows, lock my doors, and run for my life.

Not the safest part of town folks.

A neighbor lady showed me the place. The house itself-not so bad. I could live there. It was just the neighborhood. It was a lil sketchy.

So, I drive on to the next house on the other side of town. Which actually put me in a different town altogether...

I check out the place. It's nice, she'll probably live there. But as I'm leaving...

I can tell the clutch is about to go out on my car. It just felt a wee bit funny. So, I dug into the reserves of all the things my husband has taught me in 12 years and one of those is how to drive a stick shift without your clutch.

He's pretty cool, I tell you.

And I felt that way, too, after driving around Yakima with no clutch.

I found a payphone, which I tell you are almost extinct in this cell phone day and age. Mind you, it's about 97 degrees outside and I have two small (needy) children. Both of whom are hungry, thirsty, sleepy and crabby...oh, and crying.

I put in my three quarters, yes, three!!! I remember when it was 25 cents to call someone who cared. For seventy-five cents they better care when I call!

The blasted thing ate my money.

I remembered I have a calling card. So, I used it to call Josh. Poor guy was quite worried about me. I felt bad for burdening him with my troubles but I just wanted to know that the car would make it home. He said, "it should." That was comforting.

Across the street from me was a car lot and a cell phone store.

I seriously considered going to both places.

I didn't.

After several rounds of pay phones, trying to reach that girl who I'm house hunting for, I gave up and headed home. I asked the Lord to just puhlease get us home.

He did. And I think He fixed my car while He was at it, because the clutch seems to be working just fine today.

And sister of mine, you know I love you. I only wanted to wring your neck for a little bit. :)

2 comments:

Corie said...

Whew! That was a close one...
Ironic that the cell phone store and car lot were right there, huh?!

I can't believe a phone call is 75 cents now! I had no idea...

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh how sometimes I've wished for a cell phone too! Pay phones are truly hard to find.
Glad you made it home safely, Sarah. When we lived in Zillah years ago...driving around Yakima scared me then! Can't imagine it today! You've more stamina than me! With two little ones taboot?