Saturday, February 07, 2009

We didn't leave home without it

Oh my word.

Last night we had a first for our family. One I'm not proud of. One I pray to God, never happens again.

We went out to dinner with Caleb and Denise (my B&SIL) and while we're there, Alison starts pitching a royal fit.

I tell Josh to give her the pacifer. It's a cure-all, dontchaknow? But he can't find it. I can't find it. He walks through the restaurant, goes outside and traces the steps back to our van, it's nowhere.

NO WHERE!

So, we get our food. Josh is holding Alison, trying to get her to calm down. People are starting to stare and I've now become the mom that honestly, I've talked badly about. I have seen people with those horrendous children and been like, "lady, why can you NOT control that kid of yours?!"

Of course I've never had the balls to say that, but I've thought it. (yes, I just said balls) Considered hitting backspace.

Changed my mind.

Anyway, Josh leaves the restaurant. His food arrives shortly after.

Caleb eats his dinner. And then he relieves Josh of his brat holding duties. Do I have the coolest brother in law ever, or what? Love ya, Caleb. Josh comes in to eat, then I took my turn with the beast when I was done eating.

I come back in with her after I know everyone is done. We have our checks, it's time to go, and my three year old niece says she's found something.

Uh huh. The pacifier.

Grrrr.

8 comments:

Sara@iSass said...

Oh my. I totally get IT. I was once the one that thought that...control your kid...then I HAD my own. I love that you can call your child a brat and beast. We all know what you mean and there is NO judgment . It's just refreshing to hear someone admit to thinking something we've ALL thought of our own child at one time or another. Or more if said child has "that" personality. You know the one that pushes your buttons every. single. day.
OH Snap!

Anonymous said...

Um, sorry for laughing when she found the pacifier :) At least we got coffee out of the deal...and don't forget the garbage game. Life doesn't get much better than that.

javamamma said...

Yeah. 10 years ago I woulda judged ya. Today, three kids later, I sympathize. Glad the moment's over!

Growin' With It said...

i always get a good laugh on these sorta posts and hope you don't backspace too much. real baby, keep it real!

welp, i surely do remember the pacifier plug it days. we had a ton of them, but when needed never could seem to find it fast enough.

at least you didn't have to cook, right?

Unknown said...

OMG! Been there and done that one. Not with my daughters but with my oldest grandaughter exactly like your story!! Mom and dad had to take turns outside with her because she screamed bloody murder the entire meal.

My kids didn't act like that. They were little angels....NOT.

Love your blog,
Becky

amber said...

I've never seen it. Lies. All lies. She's smiles and giggles por vida

Patzke's said...

I am laughing right now. I know it's not funny but it is all at the same time. You could have given her the boob, if she would have taken it.

Corie said...

Of course...
Of course the pacifier was found at the end of the night.
Go figure.