Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Could be me

Josh used to work a half mile down the road from our house. He'd leave our house about 6:55 am and return home around 5:08 pm.

Each morning he'd get up, make his own breakfast, sit in silence drinking his coffee then make his lunch and head off to work. There were days I'd get up in time to see him off to work but, sadly, they were few and far between.

Now he leaves on Sunday or Monday and occasionally gets home during the week but for the most part I don't see him until Friday evening. It's tough. It really is. During these winter months with the freeways and highways being covered in snow, ice and freezing rain, I think it's best us girls hold down the fort here at home.

There are days I'd give anything for him to work a half mile from home again. I tell myself I'd get up at 6 and make his breakfast. I'd make his lunch, too. Then I'd kiss him, hug him and tell him to have a wonderful day.

I've thought about this quite a bit lately. Even more so since last Thursday.

Josh called me while I was with my mom last week and told me a very sad story. A story that breaks my heart and makes me realize I need to let my man know each and every day how much he means to me because life is so short.

There's a guy who works at a dairy where Josh delivers hay on occasion. Nice guy. Age 30. He married his high school sweetheart and they had three kiddos, twins and a singleton. Most mornings he gets up on his own, makes his own breakfast and lunch and heads off to work while his wife lay sleeping. Last Wednesday, however, his wife got up and made his breakfast and they spent a little time together. Before he left for work he touched her face, kissed her and said goodbye.

That was the last time Nick would do that. He died a few hours later at the dairy. I think it's wonderful that she got up that day. I know the Lord nudged her sleepy head out of bed that morning. What a precious last morning they had together. I'm sure she'll always be thankful for those few moments they had together that day.

Please pray for Nick's wife and their three daughters.

Then let those you love know you love them.

One thing I'm certain of, if Josh were to work close to home again, I'd be making more of an effort to be up with him during those wee hours of the morning.

6 comments:

TRS said...

My brother hauls hay with a semi- truck too. Like many of his trucker - friends he occasionally takes his kids with him on a run, to have some bonding time.

A good friend of his - ( babysat this guy's nieces back when I was a teen) took his son with him on a run - and unfortunately was in a horrific crash killing both of them. His poor wife woke up to a life without her two men.

sorry for the bad story - but your post reminded me of it.

Christine said...

Oh my... what a reminder to let the ones you love know that you love them.

Leanne said...

Oh....

God is good to speak to us through others~~

IF we will be good enough to listen.

I'm listening this morning.

I get up with my husband every. SINGLE. day. Because of stories like that. Because I have 12 years of garbage and crap to make up for.

It's my personal, secret agenda.

I can't let that story become mine.

Thanks for telling it and reminding me that God speaks to me through others.

God bless you, dear Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It was a great reminder to show my man how much he means to me.
I was thinking about you this morning before I headed off to work . I miss you and can't wait to soon be able to hang out with you more often.

Never "Society" Norm said...

I believe we all need to be reminded about how fortunate we are to have our husbands around that God has blessed us with. I know I take him for granted way too often.

Growin' With It said...

so true sarah! making most of each and every moment.