Monday, February 01, 2010

His Laugh

Every once in a while, but not too often, I'll let myself really think about my dad.

Like, really think about him.

Tonight is one of those times.

These 10 and a half years without him have made it hard to remember things about him. And tonight I find myself panicking about it.

One of my favorite things about my dad was his laugh.

Tonight, I realized that I can't hear it in my head anymore. I used to be able to play it over and over if I wanted to. Tonight I can't.

Oh, my heart hurts.

A few months back we were at a harvest party for Josh's company and there was a guy there who had hands just like my dad. Hands that worked but were perfectly manicured. That guy probably thought I was crazy because I kept staring at his hands all night.

I've mentioned before that a couple of years ago I saw a guy from the back who looked exactly like my dad. Same build, same stance, same bushy hair coming out of a baseball cap. I wanted to run up and hug him.

That woulda been awkward.

I'm sad to have this memory of my dad, his laugh, gone from my memory. I've emailed a girl whose family was very close with my dad for many years, asking if they have any home videos of him that I could borrow. Is that silly?

Even sillier, will you pray they do? And that they'd loan them to me?

I'm kinda missing him right now.

His laugh the most.

7 comments:

TRS said...

My mom, my aunt and two of my cousins got together to listen to a recording one of them made of Grandma. She sort of interviewed her.

When they heard her laugh they about burst into tears. I was much younger and didn't remember it as poignantly - but it was still great.

I hope you find a recording. It will be a great blessing.

denise said...

This post makes my heart ache for you.

Nothing silly at all about asking to borrow any old home videos.

Charissa said...

Yes, I will.

I wonder, do you see your dad in your girls?

Tiffany said...

You are NOT silly at all! And I will pray they have videos. They say that the sound of a person's voice is the first memory that fades - so for your sake, and for the sake of all of us who have lost someone close to us, I hope you find a video or a recording of some sort to help you savor that memory!

Keely said...

I pray that they do have videos for you, it is so great to watch home videos of my Dad and remember his voice and laugh and how he moved. I often see men who remind me of my Dad too, and I stare or watch every movement thinking of how it reminds me of him. I hope they have the videos for you, that would be really cool.

Never "Society" Norm said...

Wow. This post put me in tears, Sarah. My heart hurts for you right now. I will pray for that, and for healing of your heart.
Love you!

Growin' With It said...

hope you know i love you and feel for you on this one! ☺