Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In two weeks

Two weeks from today we begin our home school journey.

*gulp*

I've been nervous about it for approximately....five years. More so in the last five months. Because I realized it was time to get serious about it and because Sugar was resistant.

"I'm going to go to school. I'm going to wear a backpack and ride the bus. My teacher will teach me and then I'll come home to you."

That's an actual statement she made to me a few months back when we were talking about Kindergarten. She asked me who her teacher was going to be and the above statement is what I heard after informing her that I would be her teacher.

I dropped the subject. I didn't want to push her about it. I know my daughter well. Then her fifth birthday was getting closer and people would ask her if she was going to start Kindergarten. She'd nod but not say much.

But it opened the door to start talking to her about it again. And again I told her that she'd start school at home.

"But I don't want to."

I kinda froze. Then I remembered a few little girls that she loves that are home schooled.

"Honey, did you know that Emily is the teacher to Rachel and Beth?"

"She is?!"

We talked about it some more and she was finally okay with the fact that she wouldn't be riding a bus and leaving home to learn.

In just the last couple of weeks she's been getting really excited. Asking me daily if we can start school yet. I told her that once she starts school she has at least 13 years ahead of her and we can just wait a few more weeks.

Part of me is waiting because I haven't lesson planned for our first couple of weeks of school.

Part of me is waiting because I want to hold on to her just being my little non-school-aged kiddo. There's no going back once school begins. I totally get that I can't prolong the inevitable. Yet I see nothing wrong with waiting to start school until after Labor Day and enjoying these last few weeks of summer with my little girls sans school schedule.

After a gazillion mixed reviews on curriculum choices we purchased a curriculum that I believe will be really good for our family. It's very thorough and has a structured flexibility to it (follow me on that one?!) that I'm looking forward to.

It's going to rock for our family.

One thing I'm most excited about? Buying school supplies.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Its going to be great! I love that you are letting her get a backpack! and double YEAH for school supplies! :) Love them!

Never "Society" Norm said...

You will LOVE it! I will not lie to you..........there will be days you'll wonder what you were thinking and at times it is not easy..........BUT a quote I LOVE that is so true: "I never said it would be easy...I only said it would be worth it!" =)
I know you will be a great, homeschool teacher, Sarah!
Love ya!~

Duckygirl said...

one of my favorite things about homeschooling is seeing the bus drive by while I'm sipping my coffee still in my pj's. NO morning rush out the door!!! :)
New supplies are awesome too.
~Laura

denise said...

There's just something about the smell of new school supplies...ahhhh. (No, I haven't been sniffing my daughter's glue.)

I know that you'll do great this year. And so will Sugar.