When Josh and I were first married the people we hung out with most were his sister and brother-in-law. They lived near us and a year after we were married, we ended up moving to the same town they were in. It quickly became tradition to hang out and play cards, eat popcorn and drink Dr. Pepper on any given night, weekend or not.
I got to see my nieces all the time and I had a best friend just across town. My life was perfect.
And then they moved.
I don't remember them breaking the news to us that they were moving. I just remember moving them to a town a little over an hour away and feeling like they'd moved HOURS away. I remember on the way home from moving them that I cried all the way home. All. the. way. home. And I think I continued to cry for days and weeks afterward.
I mean, now whose dishwasher was I going to take my dirty dishes to? Kidding. Truly, I was broken hearted.
As sad as it was to have them leave, to not see my nieces several times a week and to not have my sister-in-law to hang out with for hours on end, they had a good thing going on in their new town. Their family grew. Grew in relationships. Grew in the Lord. It was beautiful to watch.
One of the relationships they established while living there I'll be forever grateful for.
I've mentioned my friend Kristie from time to time. Thing is, Treena introduced me to Kristie. They're BFFs.
We've hung out over the holidays, at birthday parties and of course, to scrapbook. She's the friend who will send a card just randomly to say she's praying for me, sometimes it's an email. One day during tax season we met for lunch. She's an accountant. Tax season consumes her time but she made time for me. She's been a friend who has loved on me in ways I've needed. If not for Kristie I wouldn't have sought professional help. With her encouragement I made the call that's been - to me - life changing.
I love how she loves Jesus. I love how she strives to be more and more like Him. I love how she loves her husband and her boys. I love what an amazing friend she is.
I love that last week after my post explaining how tired I am, that she emailed and offered to keep our girls for the weekend. Mind you, Kristie has three boys all active in sports, she has a full time job, a husband and a home to take care of. Yet she was willing to take on two more kids (and my kids at that!) so that I could rest.
Friend.
Amazing friend.
We took them up on their offer. Josh had just hurt himself, I was exhausted and...they offered! She posted about their experience with our kids here. I think it's a short post because she was in recovery mode. ;)
It was so nice to just be. Just be quiet. Or just be able to talk without someone interrupting. Or just be lazy and eat out every meal (which we did!)
Ted and Kristie, we're so thankful for you. We look forward to the boys being done with sports so we can return the favor. Thank you for being you. Thank you for your friendship.
We love you.
And Treena, I forgive you for moving away from me all those years ago. ;) Thank you for introducing me to Kristie.
Head on over to Kristie's blog. I've loved her last couple of posts a whole lot.
3 comments:
awwww...thanks Sarah!
Love you too!
She is pretty dang cool.
Those were good times. Wishing we had some crazy people like that again to hang out with now. You should have been happy with that move since this last one was even farther. We just have to make the most of the time we get now.
Post a Comment