Friday, November 19, 2010

{safe}

in the middle of the night last night i woke up.

decided to delete my blog.  this time not because i don't feel i measure up as far as writing style, etc.

i no longer feel (felt?) safe to write here.  sometimes i feel judged.

maybe i make it up in my head.  (what don't i make up in my head?)

or maybe there are a few readers who don't comment who are thinking negatively of the stuff i've written.

it makes me heart hurt, my head swim, my stomach tighten and my body sweat.

i take this thing way too seriously.

obviously.

i decided not to delete my blog because at some point i want to have it printed (as in a book for my coffee table, not to sell! hahaha, like it would sell.)  and i can't very well print a blog that doesn't exist.

i did the next thing i could do.  i made it private.

and that hurt my heart, made my head swim, my stomach tightened (might have something to do with the girdle i bought today) and my body sweat (another side affect of the girdle, i hope.)

josh came home for lunch and i talked with him about this.  he asked my reasoning for wanting to delete.

"i don't feel safe.  i don't feel i can write whatever i want.  i don't feel like i can tell people the reason i haven't done dishes all week or why the laundry has been all over the couch for the last few days."

silence on his end.

"i feel like they're going to think i'm crazy."

"everyone is crazy.  just some of us more than others."  he says.  (meaning me)

he tells me that everyone feels the way i do sometimes, just not everyone is willing to admit it.  he says he's sorry i feel i'm being judged.  but that i should just write.

i want to just write.

whether someone behind the screen understands or judges.  it's easy to judge when you haven't been in someone elses shoes (or girdle).  it's easy to judge when it's easy for you to get up and do the next thing. 

but that's just it. 

sometimes i can't just do the next thing.  sometimes i'm frozen.  sometimes i sit in my chair in the living room and stare.  immobilized.  the kitchen tasks are too daunting.  there's too much laundry to fold.  two small children that i'm responsible for but some days i can barely take care of me.

some people have never felt this way and don't understand.

but maybe one of you does.

and that's all that really matters.

so, no privacy settings.  no deleting.  i'm choosing to not filter.

i'm not going to filter my heart.  not the way i've been doing.

i'm going to write.

safe or not.

13 comments:

Kristie said...

"BE WHO YOU ARE and say WHAT YOU FEEL because those who mind DON'T MATTER and those WHO MATTER don't mind." Dr. Seuss

this is a favorite quote of mine. I received this quote on a gift tag a few years ago. I still carry it in my planner. It's the first thing I flip to when I open it. so simple and so true!

we all have strengths and weaknesses. we are created this way to come along side each other and fill in the gaps for each other. To reach out and love on each other when the other is struggling in some area.

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35 ESV

Love you!

Never "Society" Norm said...

I know what you mean. That is a reason I don't write on mine too. I just am not as brave as you are to not worry about what those people think. I really shouldn't care since one of the people I worry about is one I thought was a friend, yet seems as though she hates me. :( Another reason is making time. I am ridden with guilt all the time about not getting enough done, not spending time with people enough, etc. I know these are the enemy's thoughts, so don't allow him to win. You write whatever you darned well want to write!!! : )

Ruth Ann said...

I love reading your blog! I know I don't usually comment, but believe me I know what you are feeling. It isn't easy being a stay at home mom and teacher. I stopped writing my blog because people were using my words against me and it was one battle that I didn't need at the time. Who knows, I may pick it up again sometime. :o) Be encouraged that you have a wonderful husband and family who support you!

Growin' With It said...

boy have I been down that road! and yep changed my blog to a new name and new site. It may have helped me escape certain readers (for now) but in the end it's remembering not to let anyone else steal your joy. way to go sarah!

Unknown said...

Sarah,
Thank you for chosing not to delete! I really do love reading your blog. :)
You are so right...people who havent' walked a mile in our shoes have no no no way to know what we are thinking and feeling!! I have chronic fatigue & fibromyalgia and there are DAYS on end my kitchen does not get cleaned b/c I can't get the energy to do it!!
You just right what you feel and what's going on in your life b/c that is your life!!! You "own" it!! :) ((hugs)) to you.

B.D.Riehl said...

Phew! I came here yesterday and saw it was private. This morning I was looking through blogs and my husband came up behind me and I said, "boo. one of my new favorite blogs is private." I clicked to show him and there you were.
I'm so glad.
And I'm so glad for the honesty. No one is perfect. NO one has it together. We are sinners who (amazingly) have been offered hope and that's great. But we still have our flesh do battle with.
I often feel completely helpless in this life of mine.
Last week I was curled up in my closet crying (sobbing) because i couldn't get my 2 year old to pick up her toys and it was just the most disastrous thing!
So anxious to read more and connect more.
I like you. I like you a lot ;)

Charissa said...

I always enjoy reading you and the honesty you put here. I don't always have a lot of time to make a comment or I just don't have anything more valuable to say than the rest, or I am too shy. You seem to have a nice reader base so that should speak for itself, and those that don't like it will stop reading.

JerriLynn said...

I LOVE that you are willing to share all of you with us. That takes courage.We are all crazy to some degree. one man's crazy is another man's sane. Just be you because as I like to say, there is a wrench for every nut. You don't know who you're helping with your gift of sharing(yes,it IS a gift). So you do your part and leave the rest up to God, OK?

Sam said...

I was so bummed last night when I saw you had gone private. Seriously. I was so disappointed. I've been reading your blog for a very long time now and I just love it. It's honestly one of my favorites.

What your husband said is true, and in a way helped me tonight. I just had my second baby 5 weeks ago and I'm feeling very, very crazy right now with an infant and an almost 2-year old. I feel sort of alone and like no one else is crazy like I am. Thank goodness your husband reminded you and me both that we're all a little bit crazy! Tell him thanks for me, would you? :-)

And thank you for not deleting or going private. You would have been missed.

Janablessed said...

You are incredibly inspirational!! I LOVE having a peek into your honest world because I relate to many of the things you share in one way or another and I know that we are Kindred Spirits at the end of the day. Thank you for opening your world and letting us in. So many love you admire your bravery. Write on, dear friend. Write on.

denise said...

It's probably a good thing that I didn't even know you'd deleted the blog. I would've panicked! And then texted you and begged you to bring it back ;) I love, love, love your blog. And your honesty and hilarious-ness, and beautiful spirit.

I'm so glad you're going to keep writing.

Unknown said...

I've decided I don't have time for the edited and polished up. That writing is not recognizable or useful to me. I come back to your blog because you are real and transparent and trust us enough to make yourself vulnerable. I surely need a smidge of your courage. Keep writing and many blessings!

Sarah Butler said...

I love this post. I'm glad you say what you mean. There's not enough of that out there. Being a Mama and a wife is amazing. But. It's THE HARDEST JOB IN THE WHOLE WORLD. So anyone who acts like it's easy is a big fat liar. Which you are not. Which is why I like you. Alot. Well, that and the Blue Moon. And the cheese - that crazy cheese you make, which occasionally gets baked with the paper still on. ;)