Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Traditions

December 21st: Traditions
What are your traditions of Christmas?  Is there any one thing that spans generations or your family or just in your life?

"It's tradition!"  {name that movie}

{my sisters will}

There aren't any traditions from childhood that I've kept going with my children.  Mostly because I'm horrible at keeping with stuff like that.  My friend, Kristie, she rocks making traditions with her sweet family.

Two years ago I did start a simple tradition that I'll be able to keep going and that is to buy my girls matching jammies that they open on Christmas Eve.

I do this so that pictures on Christmas morning are of them looking cute, instead of just in their undies and/or diaper or with them in a white trashy t-shirt dirtied from yesterday's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I know they won't always love having matching jammies and when they don't, I'll just get them coordinating ones.

I also get Josh jammie pants.

Last year my kids and my sister's kids went to my mom's to decorate Christmas cookies.  I was hoping that would start to be a tradition but the jackwagon (my mom) moved to Vegas.

What?

Bitter still?

Only slightly.

I'll get over it.

(I first wrote that sentence, "I'll get it over."  And I wonder why I shouldn't mix wine with Percocet.)

This year my sister, BIL and niece and nephew will come over in the early evening to open gifts.  My mom sent gifts to us and I was going to give them to Megan to have at her house but I knew she'd open them so I kept them.  She'll hafta wait til Christmas.

I'd love for that to be a new tradition.

Mostly, on Christmas, I just want to not have to leave my house.  I want as many people that want to come over - come over.  But there's so much hustle and bustle in the days leading up, I just want to be in my own home, with my snuggly babes and their new presents and my sweet little Percocet.

I wanna love it and hug it and call it George.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Does Josh call them "jammie pants?" I hope so! :-)

Anne Marie Petersen said...

Living in Las Vegas isn't so bad! I live here. I'm wondering, why not come for a visit? Start another tradition!?

Wendy said...

I'd totally love jammies for Christmas. Or a sexy nightie. Or maybe just bubble bath because I ran out of mine and was using dish soap for a while (in fairness, it was lavender scented dish soap with moisturizers and it got rid of 53% more grease and grime)

Jen @ The Cubicle's Backporch said...

One of the traditions I used to love was going to my Grandma & Grandpa's on Christmas Eve. My parents didn't like it b/c it was a ~2-3 hour drive and we wouldn't get home until late and then they had to be up for Santa tasks.

But as a kid, I loved it. And I love that this year we're going to my family's house on Christmas Eve this year.


I think having a tradition that your sister comes over on Christmas Eve would be awesome. It'll give the kids something to look forward to since I'm sure they are antsy for Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, it's Ever After. Secondly I am feeling a little out of sorts as well. I miss mom whole bunches. And everything reminds me of our traditions. So I made Christmas cookies which I will try to save some for you. I love you so much and am so thankful to be so close to you, and have you physically close to us. Merry Christmas sister. I love you.