Friday, February 10, 2012

My inner Valentine's Day struggle...that's no longer inner but uh, outter.

Funny Valentine's Day Ecard: Just sending a preemptive apology since Valentine's Day can't possibly live up to your expectations.
Source




Valentine's Day is coming up.

Did you just groan, too, or was that just me?

I'm not a fan of this "holiday" at all.

It's not really one that we acknowledge in this household.

But this year I've been seeing some fun stuff on Pinterest and wondered if maybe I shouldn't be such a Valentine's Day Scrooge.

I have two oh so sweet little girls that deserve to be loved on on this day.  I've struggled, though.  Do I make a big to do about Valentine's Day for my girls every year? Build it up, make it special - only to have them one day have a husband who's kinda "meh" toward the day?

I don't want their expectations of Valentine's Day to be too high.  But I feel like a schmuck saying that.  I mean I should want their expectations to be high, right?  Um, but not too high.  Just high enough.

A perfect amount of expectation.

I'm sure there isn't such a thing.

I just know that I've had too high of expectations about the day.  For a long time Valentine's Day was a big let down.  It took a whole lot of years but I no longer have any expectations of the day and am no longer disappointed.  February 14th is just like February 13th or August 2nd or December 1st.

But I want it special for my girls while they are under my roof.  And when they are adults, I think I'll continue to make it special for them until they have someone to do it for them.

*this is not a bash on Valentine's Day or the lack of celebrating that goes on in our house for it.  Josh and I have an unspoken understanding that this is just a regular day and we're cool with it.  

3 comments:

Sam said...

We're the same way. I joke every year that I expect something expensive, but it's not serious. It's just a regular day for us.

However, I do like the idea of doing something sweet for my kids. I'll have to think about that.

Keely said...

My best valentine's day ever was my senior year of high school, when I found a dozen roses in my locker. I thought my (stupid) boyfriend had been replaced with someone awesome. The flowers were from my Dad, with a note that said, "from the one guy you can always count on," Valentine's day has always been about my family and reminding each other how much we care, not some expensive holiday with lots of silly gifts.

Kristie said...

I'm pretty "meh" on valentine's day too. We skip it too. Although this year it seems that we skipped but I was kinda hoping we wouldn't. It's stupid to feel that way but it happens on occasion. We don't do gifts for our boys but I do help them make valentine's for the kids in their classes at school.