Monday, February 20, 2012

The Tattoo

I got it.

A coupla Fridays ago.

My sister made the appointment for me with the guy who did one of her tattoos.

He's located in the mall.  When I found out that part I was wondering if Claire's had added tattoos to their ear piercing section.

I could just see the sign outside the door:

"Buy one pair of glittery, heart shaped earrings and get a tattoo for half price!"

That wasn't the case.  Thank God.

But before my appointment time I had to figure out what I wanted.  I still hadn't decided on which bike to get or where to put it.

I showed Josh the pictures and he fiercely hated them both.  Which I didn't realize until just a coupla hours before I went in. Niiiice.  He kept pointing out all the flaws on both bikes.  Saying they didn't even look like real bikes, etc.

I realized he had a point.

So I decided to print off a picture from REIs website of my bike and have the guy just do a basic outline of that.

I considered adding the spokes in (that was one thing I didn't like about Bike B) but if I was going to make the bike look completely realistic I'd have to add 28 spokes to each wheel and then that would just be a very busy bicycle.  So I opted out of the spokes and did outline instead.

Megan took pictures for me.  It's what a good sister does.

In her driveway. About to get the party started.
"Hurry, I gotta watch the road!"
A "before" picture of my calf.
I look nervous but wasn't really.  Excited, yes!


Aaron, Mall Tattoo Artist and Sarcasm Extraordinaire 

He wanted to know where I wanted the tattoo.  When I told him I wanted it on my calf he asked why I'd want it there.  I said, "where else would I put it, my forehead?"  His reply, "well, do you even ride bikes?"  Me, "duh, if I didn't would I put it there?"  Him, "look, I work in the mall, you wouldn't believe what people put on their bodies and where."  Me, "well, it just so happens I do ride bikes.  So there."  And that was the end of that convo.  (neener neener)


And the finished product.

The first question I always get asked is, "did it hurt?"  Not so much, no.  It stings at first, just a little.  The worst part is that I am terribly ticklish on my calves.  So, when he'd have to dab at the blood and ink I would move my leg because he was tickling me so bad!  

This is kinda how the process would go.

Bzzzzz sound.  Stop.  Dab.  I'd kick my leg.

Him: Stop moving!
Me: Then stop tickling me!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The whole process took about 30 minutes.  He did an awesome job and I could not be happier with the work he did.  Plus, he was just a good time.  And Megan was a good time.  She's always a good time.

If/when I decide on another tattoo (I kinda already have something in mind) (don't tell Josh) I'll be going back to Aaron, the mall tattoo artist.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE how you picked to have the bike represent the one you ride! So so cool...I love how it turned out!!! Congrats~~!

Sam said...

It looks amazing! That's definitely the best of the three choices. I love it.

You do know you're one of those cool moms, right?? :-)

Wendy said...

Looks good!

But...do you ride bikes?

(kidding)

HolyMama said...

sweet! it's a gorgeous bike on a gorgeous calf.