Tomorrow is payday and I cannot wait.
We're a two vehicle family (well, we actually have four at the moment, but let's not talk about that) and one is parked because it has no gas, and the other (my van) Josh coasted to work in this morning.
Super thankful that Josh works half a mile from home so that my van can run on fumes for him. :)
I was telling Josh the other night that I was frustrated that our envelopes were empty. I was feeling like we failed our attempt at our budget.
He reminded me that we used the money in the gifts envelope for gifts (Chad's birthday) we used the grocery money for groceries, we had to buy gas, etc. etc. We needed the money in those envelopes and used them accordingly. We put $250 in savings from the last paycheck, and we also tithed 10% of his check.
The money wasn't blown or wasted or whatever.
We're down to the nitty gritty on groceries, but that's to be expected since the last time I went shopping was on November 16th. Yikes. (other than picking up some milk and cheese)
I'm already thinking we need to up our grocery budget.
I cancelled Netflix yesterday. We just haven't been using it much, we grab a Redbox more often than we watch Netflix, so I'd just rather put $8 toward Redbox per month.
Josh told me last night that he's really liking how we're doing and that was so encouraging to me.
This morning we talked about Christmas presents and had agreed to spend $50 on each other. After I figured out how his check will be dispersed tomorrow, I called him and told him I'd rather put that money in savings. It won't be easy to not have presents to open on Christmas morning, but I had a great Christmas last year, and I'd much rather have a savings account than a present to open. So we agreed to put the money in savings instead.
Yay for being a grown up.
I'll start doing budget and savings updates around the first of the month after this.
2 comments:
Sorry the envelopes are empty and you're on edge waiting for tomorrow, BUT huuuuuge congratulations for sticking to it! I *love* hearing success stories like this. :) Gives me encouragement, too. :) I think I'm going to go back to cash for some stuff. Thanks for the motivation!
I'm sorry about the envelopes too but I love to hear that you're being successful with it! And Josh is giving you positive feedback... that's even better!
As I've mentioned before, other people's money habits fascinate me.
Have you tried to think of free things you could give Josh? Like one of those 'coupon' books you make yourself where he can claim "1 free foot massage' or something? (Of course you can make it a little more kinky too. Wink wink!)
Also, I totally miss you on Twitter. I'm almost to the point where I feel I should take a break too.
Post a Comment