Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Homeschool Planning

Even though I feel like summer just started, I've started thinking ahead for our school year.  This is kind of a big deal because normally I do my planning for school about three days before we start.

Yay for getting better at this!

We had to test Sugar a few weeks ago per WA State homeschool laws.  I thought we may die. Sugar and testing do not go well together. We made it through, though, and the results were fine.  They helped me to see that our focus on reading and writing is paying off, our math time needs much improvement, and that even if you don't teach science or history for an entire year, your kid is smarter than you thought, and can still whiz right through. 

As each year has passed, we've slowly gotten better with consistency. I get better about taking the school day more seriously.

(As a stay-at-home-mom it is easy for others (and myself!) to think that I can drop what I'm doing at any given moment to run an errand or go hang out, or whatever. This winds up messing with our school day, and we either cut the day short or don't do school at all.)

This year I am committing to trying even harder to complete our entire school day before agreeing to meet a friend for lunch or run an errand for someone.  

I've also decided to stop comparing the level my children are at with that of their cousins, our friends, or those I read about on blogs or Facebook.  As long as there is progress, I will be happy.  The comparing of children is exhausting and kills happiness in all of us.

I'm really looking forward to this school year.  I'm not sure I've been able to say that in previous years.  I think as these few years have gone on, I'm a tiny bit more comfortable in my own skin.  I'm learning more and more what works for our family and the girls as individuals.  

There are certain areas I have been too strict, others where I have been too lax.  I'll be working on (and blogging about) these things and hope to see improvements in all of us.

Now.  I am off to order some new school books (eeee!!!) and get my year off to a strong start!


No comments: