Her name is Betty.
And I have yet to figure out why, but she likes me.
I have had the hardest time the last several months with accepting her love, friendship, and generosity.
Her and her husband have been so generous to me. So much love and kindness that I've often felt my heart is about to burst.
I was with my mom yesterday and she asked what my plans for the evening were. I explained that Betty had invited me over, that her three grown children were all coming home, but that she had invited me to be a part of that. I told her how that just seemed like a lot to me, your whole family to be together, and then to invite me.
And my mom says, "you do know Sarah, that you are fun to be around."
When you've had someone rip apart all the pieces of who you are, it is difficult to be yourself after that, and believe that it's okay. That there are people who truly like you. I know, it was only one person. But that one letter was strong and is always in the back of my mind.
All day yesterday I knew that I was invited to go over to their house. I kept fighting with myself about how there's so much to be done around here, and that Betty should just enjoy her family without me being part of that. But I went. I even took my toiletries because Betty said I could shower!
(yes, I'm still without one of those at my house.)
She fed me dinner, offered her shower, gave me coffee and cake. Her kids showed up, and they are my friends, too. There were hugs and smiles, lots of laughter, and can I tell you - my heart was so full.
I left their home all filled up.
As I'm driving away I think about how good it is to be loved by them. How good it is to spend time with people who love me for me, the good parts of me, but the damaged parts, too.
I started to question it, then stopped myself. I just needed to let myself be loved and be thankful.
2 comments:
I love reading your blog from Nebraska and Arkansas (where I go to college), and I'm pretty for sure that if I lived closer we would be friends. Your fun personality comes through your blog, and it makes me sad to think that someone said such hurtful words to you. It makes me wonder if that person had been hurt somehow and decided to lash out at someone else.
I have a friend similar to Betty, and she has a beautiful way of showing me that I am valued. We all need a "Betty" in our lives.
This reminds me of Thanksgiving around our house. My mom has always said "The more the merrier" so there has been roommates, friends, etc at our family functions.
I'm curious who it was that said the hurtful things to you and what they said. Maybe it's their own issues they were reflecting on to you?
Post a Comment