Monday, March 12, 2007

How do I say this?

Well, once again, I'll be going on a little blogger hiatus. Thursday will be my last post for awhile.

I didn't know if I should post about this, since alot of people will read about it before I get in touch with them by phone. But, here goes...

Today, I went in to have my stitches looked at from my appendectomy. They tell me everything looks great, I'm ready to jump off the table and head home. The doctor says, "let's sit down and talk."

Well, that's never a phrase ya wanna hear. Geesh.

He proceeds to tell me that it's a blessing I had appendicitis. I'm thinking, "buddy, ya ever had it? 'cause I didn't like it much and I sure wasn't thinking it was a blessing." But I refrained.

He continues to tell me that when they removed my appendix, they found a tumor. A small one, about the size of an olive. It's malignant. And even though I know what malignant means, I asked what it meant.

"It's cancer."

Alrighty then.

I wanted to be tough. I wanted to be stoic. But, I'll be honest with you. I wasn't. My first thought was morbid. My first thought was, "I won't get to see my baby grow up." And I started to cry. I tried so hard not to. Even now, by myself, typing this, I'm trying not to, but it's real hard not to. 'Cause honestly, I'm scared.

On Friday at 9:30 I'll have surgery to remove the right half of my colon. I'll be in the hospital a minimum of 5-7 days. Yuck! I was in for only two days from my appendectomy and it drove me nuts. I cannot imagine how it'll be for that long!

There's good news. Jesus is so good. My doctor was right. If I'd not had appendicitis, this tumor would have grown and it may have been years before they found it. It may have been too late. So, just know, wherever you are in life and no matter what junk is going on, Jesus is good. He so is.

More good news. You know how I always talk about how I'm overweight? Well, I can't eat from Thursday until Tuesday. Seriously. I'm gonna lose weight! Plus, I wonder what 2 feet of my colon weighs! I'm hoping for about 20 lbs. :)

Please pray for my family. I worry about the toll this will take on my husband and daughter. My doctor said I'll be down for about six weeks. That's quite a long time.

I called my sister Erica, and she says, "is this like the time you told me Megan got hit by a bus?" She didn't believe me, I may have told her a few white lies growing up.

Later my mom and I were talking and I said something stupid and she tells me to "knock it off, or I'll kick you in the cancer."

Yep, that's how we roll.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know. Thanks for letting me get that out there. Feels good to write it and I'll keep you up to date as much as I can.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Sarah-

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. God will never let this disease defeat your spirit! Keep your eyes lifted and He will see you through! You will be in my daily prayers. Take care and please if there is anything that I can do for you let me know.

A side note, maybe to help with the crying, there was an article in the Tri-City Herald about breast cancer a couple weeks ago and one of the girls in the photo had a shirt that said "I kicked cancer's ass!" If I find it I will get it for you! I think ass is okay its in the bible!;) Remember laughter is good for the soul! Even though cancer isn't funny, you mom is right to try to make you laugh!

Michelle said...

Wow, Sarah, this is not the typical post from you! I am sorry that you have to go through this... but I am SURE that the Lord has plans to work this out for the good! He is an amazing God and I will pray for your speedy healing and recovery.

I LOVE the t-shirt idea, Kristie!! She is right... use that gift of humor right now... attitude is a HUGE part of this cancer puzzle!!!! I will be praying.