Friday, August 01, 2008

Life this Summer

I feel like it's been awhile since I've written about life in general. So, I'll just have one really long post about a buncha stuff.

Not even sure where to start.

Everything is good. Which is more than I can say for about three days ago or so.

Husband and me

Things were kinda crazy for us for a bit. Like a two month bit. I just felt we weren't the team we normally are. There were days where we'd say hello and goodbye and that 'bout summed 'er up. We were co-existing. And I was panicking. Finally, at 1:30 am the other night we talked. It was really good. We're both always so worried about hurting the other's feelings that we never want to say anything.

Basically, it was boiling down to the fact that we were showing love to each other in all the wrong ways. We discussed what would help each of us feel better and after about an hour of pouring out our hearts, we were both able to sleep better than we have in weeks.

The Girlies

I'm amazed, daily, at how quickly Jaylee is growing up. And how I need to start investing more time in training her.

Yesterday, we had some issues. I would have won "Worst Mama" award, hands down. She was being naughty and I didn't handle it the best. It took a 50 minute drive to calm me down. When she acts out, I truly believe it's my lack of parenting showing through. And basically it comes down to be me being embarrassed, of myself. There are days that I'm too tired to "pick my battle" and I'll let things slide. Putting off what I should have just taken care of in the first place so it didn't fester til I blow up.

She's a good girl. But I feel like her heart isn't in it sometimes. And I just don't know how to help her sometimes.

I'm probably not making any sense, huh? What's new? you ask. pffft.

Oh, Miss Alison. This baby has taught me so much in her three short months. First, you can love a screaming baby. She doesn't do this anymore but when she did, I loved her anyway. Second, judge not. I see why some moms are okay with having a babysitter when their babies are still so young. With Jaylee, I never felt I needed time away with her when she was tiny tiny. With Ali, it's been different. In the beginning (you know, like a month and a half ago) she was difficult and I needed fresh air, to clear my mind and rest for a minute or 57.

She's been so good these last three weeks. She's so happy and so sweet. She gurgles all of the time and it melts my heart. I've never heard a more vocal baby. I'm wondering if we're in for it later on. :)

Shadow

This guy has really been the best, ever. He just hangs out. He's happy to be inside or out. And I've said before, he's just so patient with Jaylee. We love him to pieces.

Stuff and Things

I'm a procrastinator and overbooker. :) This week has been pretty nuts. It's been good but really busy and it doesn't look to slow down until Monday. I planned too much in a week and right now I'm paying for it. I'm exhausted.

I have 10 butterflies to make for VBS (vacation bible school) that I've known about for a month. They are due....tonight. Have I made them yet??!!? next question, please... No, I haven't made them and I really hope Pia isn't reading this! I'm supposed to help decorate tonight, VBS starts on Monday, so, we'll be heading back up to Yakima again this evening.

Tomorrow is a double bday party for some family friends.

Sunday we move my mother back to the lower valley. Again.... (love you, mother)

Money and junk

I know we're not the only family affected by the economy right now, so I'm sure you'll hear me loud and clear when I say it's tight around here. We're getting back on our budget wagon and as hard as it is, we know we have to do it. Penciling everything out isn't pretty. Unfortunately it's causing stress in our household. When Josh's company was taken over last fall, there were changes. Amazingly, we've lost about $15,000 a year in pay. That's a huge amount for us. Sadly, I didn't realize it until recently how much it is. These coffees have got to stop!!! Another area is our grocery budget. We spend close to $60 a week in groceries for our family of four, which is actually just three since Ali is only nursing. I never thought that was much until I read over here at
Gayle's. She has a family of six and she spends between 50-60 bucks a week on groceries. FOR SIX PEOPLE!!! Four of them are growing children.

So, I've decided...I'm going to try for 35 bucks, to feed my little family. It's going to take creativity and it's going to take some cutting back on meat. Which will be hard since my husband loves him some red meat! I believe I can do it and I believe that helping save the money my husband earns will be a stress reliever for him.

I'll probably do my grocery shopping on Sunday, so I'll let ya know how it goes.

Well, that's all for now. My girls will be up soon and I think I need to rest a few minutes before they are.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. Be safe!

*um, not real sure why some font is black and some is not...hmm...whatev.*

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a great time to go veg! Love you!

Erica Lynn said...

The black font is blending with your background, but I was still able to read it. I hear ya on the discipline, it's so hard. I never knew it was going to be this hard. I'm glad you and Josh were able to talk. Derek and I have to do that sometimes too.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Glad you & Josh talked...Boy, we all need to do that, more times than we actually do it! Amazing how once the 'air is cleared' life seems so wonderful again, huh!
Now...this grocery thing 35 DOLLARS?? a week?? Be sure and let me know how that works for you! I'd never get away w/o putting some meat on the table...at least 4or 5-nites a wk. And WOW! Sarah! 15G pay cut??? That's horrible! How can a 'take over' do that to employees is beyond me! I feel for you & Josh!
Have a great wkend Lady Sarah!

(hope you don't mind, I'm gonna borrow that pix from your blog Mon. I think it is...don't know where some of you creative people come up with some of the greatest pix/cartoons etc.) I've been busy, but wanted to check in with you and one other! So feel privilged! :) cuz you are so special to me!

Miriam said...

Hi Sarah! I found you by way of Gayle's GroceryCartChallenge, and just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your blog. Way to go on the $35/week grocery budget. I just cut ours in half several weeks ago, and so far I'm doing ok. I enjoy reading blogs by people who are fellow-budgetters.
~Miriam