Watching the election last night had me pacing.
I was pacing my living room. I'm surprised I didn't burn holes in my carpet. I'd check the computer, watch the television, stir dinner...
Lather.
Rinse.
Repeat.
It wasn't a good night in our household. I'm the more vocal spouse (shocked, aren't you) about how I've been feeling about this election. Josh just takes it all in and doesn't say much. And that makes me insane. When we sat down for dinner last night he turned the television off. That made me a little crazy but I understood his point. Dinner time is family time, election or not.
Tuesday morning Alison woke up at 5 am. As I sat to feed her, I could hear the rain pouring down. In that moment I knew Obama would win the election. I feel the Lord was weeping. Weeping for what America is to become. Weeping for the unborn children that will have no chance at life. Weeping that our freedoms will no longer be.
All day yesterday I was living in fear. And going to bed last night, I'll be honest...I panicked. Josh didn't say much. But he did say this, "We have nothing to fear, God is our Commander in Chief. In Him we don't need to fear."
I cried myself to sleep last night. Josh's words were a comfort but still I was fearful.
This morning I'm more calm.
If you've been feeling the same way, here are some verses I'm choosing to hold on to.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is my strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." II Timothy 1:7
"He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." I John 4:4
"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house were many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:1-3
"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27
Just to name a few.
I am choosing to be excited. I'm excited for African Americans around our country, this is an awesome time for them. I'm excited that this election has spurred me to no longer sit on my faith but to embrace it. I cannot be a lukewarm Christian. And I'm pretty sure that's what I've been. A friend of mine sent me a message on MySpace telling me the urgency she now feels for her young daughter. Agreed. There is an urgency in me as well.
It's time I let my family, my friends, my husband, my children know that I choose Jesus. I choose to serve Him. I choose to trust Him.
And I choose not to live in a spirit of fear.
4 comments:
Amen, Sarah!!!!! I have felt the same way. We should only fear Him, and yet I am fearful...especially for my kids. We all have much praying to do!
Mary
Sarah, we all need to pray that these 2 politcal parties can now work TOGETHER...for the betterment of our country.
We as the people cannot sit back now..we must become more aware and involved in our country,the politics and the process; not just for a month or year or a term...but for generations!
Honestly I believe the only peace that we will be finding in the future in this country is the peace that our Savior, Jesus Christ offers us on a daily basis.
My KidZone kids have learned these verses in the last few weeks:
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind"
"Do unto other as you have them do unto you"
"Trust in the Lord your God"
In Him all things are made perfect! I anxiously await for the day of our Saviors' return!
Thank you! Last night I was glued to the Internet, checking the national and state election results. I was just angry. Today, the Lord convicted me about my bad attitude. I read the following in a book today:
"As the unbelieving world becomes increasingly hostile to Christianity, it will be even more eager to find inconsistencies in our lives so it can ridicule God and His Word...Therefore, as believers, we should seek to be exemplary in every aspect of our lives, doing our best for the sake of Christ and His gospel. Our work, our play, our driving, our shopping should all be done with a view that not only will unbelievers have nothing bad to say, but on the contrary, they will be attracted to the gospel that they see at work in our lives." (Jerry Bridges, The Discipline of Grace)
Your post reminded me of that quote today. I agree that we should be exicited about new opportunities to humbly be different from the world and glorify Jesus in our lives.
Post a Comment