Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Promise Kept

In June 1998, two weeks after my high school graduation and three weeks before my wedding day, I went to Mexico on a mission trip.

Around the campfire one night I felt the Lord whisper, "you will be a mother to the motherless."

And instead of being in awe over it; being filled with excitement...I panicked.

"will I not be able to have children?"

About 18 months into our marriage a doctor told me I probably wouldn't be able to have kids (not that we were wanting to at that time but there were some medical issues and this was his diagnosis) and I remembered the words of that June night.

"so, this must mean we'll adopt." were my thoughts after hearing what the doctor had to say.

Josh and I never "tried" for a baby. Our first baby was quite a surprise to us. A blessing in disguise, really. The doctor was wrong and I was able to have two children.

But over these last ten years I've wondered, "Lord, did I not hear You right?" Did I make that up in my head?"

Never really feeling He's answered, I've just left it be.

About a year and half ago our church started an orphanage in Rwanda. Beth-Ammi "House of My People" I can't remember how many orphans there are there but there are many.

Many.

Our pastor presented that we could sponsor a child for a small amount each month. I jumped on it.

Then, a group went to Africa and came home with pictures of all the children. The photos were laid out on a table and we could pick which child we wanted to sponsor. I looked them over. Overwhelmed by how many of these sweet children have no parents.

I picked a boy.

A boy named Habineza.

For the last year or so we've sponsored Habineza and sadly, there are months I write my check out of duty rather than love. Not thinking about it and forgetting the blessing that this is for me to do this.

Until I receive a letter.

The letter is in Habineza's handwriting but then translated into English at the bottom.

Dear Josh and Sarah,

Let me praise God for giving me this opportunity of writing to you and to know if you're fine. About me, I'm fine too. Home in Rwanda; concerning the school am warding well.
Again let me take this opportunity to thank you for being my parent; and I again thank now God Who has given you this heart.
Your Child Habineza

Dear Daddy and Mummy,
I greet you in Jesus' name!!!
Once again I would like to thank you so much for being continue to be my parents. Even if I am not yet seeing you by face but am ever confient with you as God has prepared you to be my parents. I even prayed for you and for all you doing so that God may continue to strengthen you and prosoper you. I would like to inform you that I have finished my academic school year and I have succeeded.
Your Child Habineza

Even after reading those letters, tears streaming down my face, it didn't hit me. It was about a month later when I was looking at Habineza's picture on my fridge and remembering his sweet words.

Bam!

"you will be a mother to the motherless."

In the second letter he addresses us as Daddy and Mummy!!!

"you will be a mother to the motherless."

I may never get to hold that sweet boy in my arms but I am confident this is the boy the Lord was preparing my heart for those years ago around that campfire.

The Lord, He keeps His promises.

12 comments:

TAMI said...

What a beautiful testimony. God is so patient in working out His promises to us -- just like in the Bible for crying out loud!! This is what the LORD has DONE! You have glorified Him with your praise and remembrance.

Corie said...

Sarah, that is so awesome!

Melissa said...

Smarn,
Oh you have no idea. We could talk for hours. Thank you for sharing my heart. You are my fav.

Never "Society" Norm said...

I learn more and more about you by reading your blogs, Sarah. It's nice to get to know ya after.....how many years now? lol
But really, it is nice to finally see who the true/real Sarah is.
I think I like her.=)
Luvs!

Maria said...

This is a beautiful post...

Anonymous said...

This is so cool and has really touched my heart!

javamamma said...

Awesomeness!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh Sarah, this is so precious!!! It warmed my heart and gave me goose bumps!
You and Josh are amazing and special people!
Glad to know you in 'this world'..
Barb

Patzke's said...

That is great for you guys to do that. Great when you get a response like that from God and the boy.

amber said...

Ahh

Liberty said...

Wow! God is so good!

Jackie said...

I got some serious chills reading this - how good our Lord is! And you're so right - He IS faithful...I'm holding on to that tonight.