Monday, March 23, 2009

Structure is Good

But I don't usually roll very structurally. (Is that even a word?!) (spell check says YES!)

However, I need to be more structured in certain areas of my life. A very wonderful friend of mine is quite structured. She has a plan. And that's that. She jokes that she wants me to help her live a little more freely. If she only knew how sometimes this fly-by-the-seat-a-my-pants thing I have going is actually stressful!

I tend to just roll with whatever comes my way. But I crave structure. I crave routine. Crazy, huh?! Me?!

I KNOW!

Crystal Paine has put on Making Your Home a Haven for a long time. Not sure how long but I've lurked her blog for well over a year and I was seeing the series pretty frequently. Since I'm needing some structure, guidance and encouragement in the homemaking department I decided to head to Crystal's blog. Today I see that Tammy will now be hosting Making Your Home a Haven.

I love that she's starting the series off with a list! A list of five things I want to accomplish every morning. Simple things.

I like simple.

So, here's my morning list:

1. Bible reading (just me and me and the girls)
2. Morning dishes.
3. Make beds.
4. Plan dinner.
5. Play time with the girls.

Seems so easy, doesn't it? Amazing how so often I can't even get those five simple things done. This time I've decided to write them down where I'll see them first thing, hopefully to help and inspire to do them each day!

What are five things you do every morning?

11 comments:

TAMI said...

Yes, it all seems so simple. A list with 5 little things, necessary things even, and yet ... ??

Your profile is vulnerable and authentic - and although this little life of mine is wonderful as well, I just might seriously consider swapping it with the skinny, perfect house, beautified hair girl too!!

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Your routine sounds good, I wish you all the best as you make your home a haven.

Laura Lee said...

Baby step, girl!! Get numero uno done consistently and then add dos. Rinse. Repeat.

I love your profile!! My husband and I separated for three years, only reconciling last fall!! Again, baby steps of faith.

Miriam said...

As repetative as it is, if I don't write it down, it probably won't happen. I write down the same stuff, every day, every week, on my day planner. Eat Breakfast. Make Bed. Get Dressed. Start Laundry. Dishes. Clean off counters and table. Hang out laundry. Feed dog... you get the idea :) I have a love/hate relationship with "The List" - love it when everything has a line through it, and hate it when the day is over and most stuff hasn't been crossed off.

Keely said...

We had a motivational get things done guy at work a couple weeks ago. One of his rules that I LOVED was the two minute rule. Pick 20 minutes in your day and go through your "pile" of things to do. Anything that will take 2 minutes or less, do it now. If you don't do it now it's not important so throw it away. In 20 minutes you will get at least 10 things done, some things will take less than two minutes so you could get more than 10 things done. This has really helped me stop putting off all those little things!

Jackie said...

In my head, I like to imagine that I am completely scheduled and on top of things. In reality? Not so much. A huge problem for me is getting dinner planned before 4:30 in the afternoon. I don't know why it's such a difficult thing, but more often than not, you can find me staring helplessly into my freezer later afternoon. I've got to get a handle on that!

Your list is inspriring me...way to go!

Sarah said...

Well in light of recent happenings in my life, here is my list since you have inspired me to try.
1. Get out of bed before 9am. I am a night owl and can't afford to let it get out of control now that I'm not going to work.
2. Take shower before 10am.
Simple isn't it. Sometimes not.
3. Do something for someone else everyday, even if it is to write an email or letter. Take the focus off of me.
4. Go exercise everyday.
5. If the sun is out, go stand in it or be outside for a long time.
Thanks for all your thoughts and funniness on here. It encourages me.

javamamma said...

"Making your Home a Haven" is a theme that's been in my heart for several years - I'll have to go check out that website.

Sara@iSass said...

Me and your friend were cut from the same fabric. I thrive on structure. But even in structure I loose things, like it'll be nearly noon and I'll remember I didn't get my teeth brushed and now it's lunch time so what's the point.
my list:
I hit the snooze button.
Hit it again.
Cringe that if I DO intend to see my child safely off to the bus I HAVE to get up NOW.
Relieve the sleepy bladder.
Grab my cup of coffee and see Butter off to the bus.
The rest of the morning is left to showering, breakfast for Roo and self, posting and meal prep for dinner. Once I've had my coffee, I'm better...I hate mornings. So I guess my mornings aren't so structured right...there's no exercise, or laundry or worship time. Huh, never thought of it that way. I like doing things in the evenings, I'm more AWAKE, happy.
I have my worship time before bed, I can think better and my brain is alert...not so much in the mornings.

Natalie said...

This post is inspiring!

Had I been asked if I was structured before reading this, I would have said NO Way! But now that I think about it my mornings are completely routine and I get a ton done within 1.5 hours.

5:45 a.m. Wake up, jump in shower.
6:00-7:00 a.m. Wash dishes, prep for dinner, make lunches, rotate laundry, wake up husband, feed/potty dogs, pack/gather stuff (phone, keys, docs, book, etc.) for work.
7:00-7:15/20 a.m. Throw on make up and clothes, dry hair and we're out the door!

My most helpful list is meal planning. I love planning/shopping in advance because it makes the rest of the week feel seamless. I keep my weekly menu list posted to the fridge as a reminder and also so I can prep in the morning. Working full time doesn't leave much time in the evenings so I try to get as much done in the morning as possible. That way I'm able to exercise and/or relax for an hour watching DWTS when I get home from work. =)

I need structure at work! I allow sudden requests that come across my desk to interupt projects. I'm going to try doing a 5 item list each day to see if I can feel more structured at the office.

I liked Keely's 2 minute comment - I'm going to try that too.

Great post, Sarah - everyone is so different and it's fun to read what works (or not) to motivate people.

Patzke's said...

Good luck with this. I often write the same things every week. But it's good when you get to check it off the list everyday.