Sunday, January 31, 2010

No perfect ending

My house was a mess this weekend. I just wasn't in the mood to do anything other than be by my kids and husband.

But today we were having company and nothin' spurs this chick on to clean the house more than company.

So I got to cleaning. I cleaned our living room, our bathroom and the kitchen. In one hour. This job usually takes me an entire day but today...today it took an hour.

I started wondering what the dealio was. Why was I able to get everything done in an hour that will normally take me a whole day to do?

What was different?

Josh was here to take care of the girls. During the day when I'm here with them and trying to clean they are needy.

They need me.

To answer questions.

To wipe noses.

And bottoms.

To find the matching sock.

And to tie shoes.

To cut food into itty bitty pieces.

To hug.

And kiss.

To say "no-no!"

To read books.

And read some more books.

To change diapers.

And bathe.

To brush hair.

And teeth.

They need me to "watch this!"

and kiss owies afterward.

To follow them around.

And around.

To repeat myself.

Again.

And again.

And again.

I find it all very exhausting and challenging.

And I'd love to end this post with some wonderful heartwarming sentiment about how I wouldn't trade it for the world and it's so rewarding and on and on.

But I'm not going to.

It's hard work. This being a woman. Being a wife. Being a mom.

I'm scared everyday that I'm failing the people in my life. Especially my little people.

I need to find a way to do better.

4 comments:

Growin' With It said...

do what better? cuz you sound like a FABULOUS, wonderful, AWESOME, magnificent mommy/wife to me!!

Christine said...

They need you and you are there. I think thats about 90% of it.

Beth said...

You're not alone. It always helps me to realize that very simple fact. You're also a great mom and wife and woman. It also helps me to hear that every now and then. :)

denise said...

Hard to believe that someday we'll miss all this, huh? But we will.

You're doing the stuff that counts, even if it doesn't seem that way. Good job, mama.