Tuesday, May 04, 2010

two years loving our sweet baby girl

Two days before you were born my belly looked like this. You kicked and you squirmed, you rolled and you rolled some more. And because you were my second pregnancy I treasured each and every roll you made across my belly because I knew in just a couple more days I wouldn't feel this anymore. And I would miss it.
The day before you were born we worked and worked outside. The carport was a disaster and for some reason I just really wanted it clean. So I lugged you around, still inside my belly. I'd have to stop throughout the day, as contractions would hit hard and leave me breathless. Dinner time came and went, finally around 7 pm we called it a night. Your poor big (but still so little) sister had been so sweet and so patient all day but she was "hunna!"

So, we loaded up in the Suburban and headed 20 miles west for some Mexican food. As soon as we got in the rig I had a contraction. Then four minutes later another. And again four minutes after that. Through dinner I had contractions every four minutes. We got home at 9:30, put your sweet big sister to bed. Since I was induced the first time around, I wasn't sure if I was in labor. I was told to take a shower and if the contractions went away I was not in labor.

The contractions did not go away.

I barely made it out of the shower. The contractions were fierce! But I put my jammies on, stopping every few seconds to catch my breath and finally made it into bed. Daddy jumped in the shower after I got into bed.

It was 10 pm and the contractions were still four minutes apart. Had been for three hours.

While he was in the shower my water broke.

We called Maugie about 10:30 and told her it was time to bring your sister up so we could head to the hospital. I remember trying to get dressed to go to the hospital and doubling over in our bedroom. I decided they'd just have to see me in my jammies, putting clothes on just wasn't gonna happen.

We woke up our little girl, who had only been in bed about an hour and she had a sweet, sleepy smile on her face. I snuggled her and told her she was going to be a big sister soon. I remember panicking in that moment, hoping she knew that even though you were coming along very quickly, that I loved her oh, so much.

We got in the Suburban again, contractions still every 3-4 minutes, sometimes only 2. Daddy very rarely exceeds the speed limit but this time was an exception. He made the 40 mile trip seem like 20. For this I was very thankful.

Maugie came out to meet us, it was 11:15 pm. We left your big sister in the care of your grandma and daddy helped me back into the Suburban.
Five minutes later we walked into the hospital.

Pre-registering the month before you were born was very helpful. We were already checked in. They found us a room and a nurse came in. "Someone will need to check you before we can admit you."

At midnight, now your due date, we were admitted into the hospital. I was dilated to a four.

The next five hours were spent standing up, rocking back and forth with Daddy holding onto me and encouraging me.

And me biting him a time or five. (don't worry, I apologize every now and then.)

At five a.m. I told Daddy it was time. And the silly guy said no, that it wasn't. It was too soon.

"No, really. It's time. I need to push."

A nurse came in. I told her I needed to push. She sighed but checked me. Then told me it was time to call my midwife, who showed up in her Disneyland jammie shirt and sleepy eyes. Within 10 minutes I was laying on the bed ready to push.

The nurses asked if I knew if you were a boy or girl. We'd chosen not to find out but I thought you'd be a boy for sure. The entire time I was pushing I kept saying, "I can't wait to see him, is he here yet?"

30 minutes of pushing later, I was blessed with another baby girl, weighing in at 8 lbs. 4.6 oz. I was one happy mama. Girls. I had girls now! Not just one, but two beautiful girls.

Our family of three was now a wonderful family of four! (lovely cell pictures)



For the first two weeks you slept so peacefully.

And then for the next four months you did this:





But we loved you still. You would gurgle and make sweet noises. Yes, you cried. A lot. But you were so sweet and snuggly.
















Giving you a bath in the sink is such a hoot! You laugh and you splash and you're just so cute!


'Specially when you do this...


First camping trip! We went to Mt. Rainier for four days.



Maugie and you!


10 month old smile!





11 months of this sweet face.




Oh, the sisterly love.




Daddddyyy!!!!

And here you are at a year old!



Over the year you spent thousands of miles and many many nights in a Peterbilt with your sister, daddy and me. You learned to walk. You still don't talk much.

Words you say:

mama
dada
no
When asked, "what are you doing?" you reply, "nuteen!" (nothing)
no
yeah
no
uh huh
gah (dog)
no
goot goo (thank you)
up
beebee (blankie)
no
dee (pacifier)

You love to play in the dirt but prefer to do it wearing a dress...or beads....


Just a couple of months ago we found out about your allergies and we're trying hard to rid your little body of everything that hurts you. It hasn't been easy but you're doing great!

You are the first to help pick up toys and books. If I'm sweeping you quickly run to get the dustpan. You are an amazing helper, sweet girl. I love that about you.

You're so quick-tempered and I haven't known how to "cure" you of this, so just today I've started praying with you as soon as your attitude turns into a fit. I'm praying this starts to calm us both down.

When you hear Daddy's truck pull in the driveway, you stop whatever you're doing to run to the door and throw yourself into his arms.
You are constantly getting hurt and this drives me nuts. But you're a trooper, that's for sure!

You love your pacifier and giving slobbery kisses.

Your blanket is nasty and dirty and you hate to have it washed because that's 90 minutes of separation. Some would think it's ridiculous we let you carry it all over, I think you're only going to be little for a short time, you may as well enjoy your "beebee" now.

You have zero interest in potty training, which is a total bummer. But, I'm not going to push it.

Today is your birthday and we'll make you a gluten, egg and dairy free cake. I'm sure it's going to taste fabulous!

We love you, Alison, our little Spice of life.

Happy Second Birthday, Little Love.
Love,
Mama

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy 2nd Birthday to A!!! :)
What a sweet post and what a wonderful keepsake for your little girl to read one day!! It made me tear up b/c I can tell it was from the bottom of your heart.

Thank you for sharing with all of us. :)

Never "Society" Norm said...

Happy, Happy 2nd Birthday, Alison!!! =)

Christine said...

Happy Birthday to one cute little girl!

And, Sarah, you were definitely one of those pregnant women who could be walking in front of me and I would never know you were pregnant! That baby was all out in front of you! I hope I am that lucky!

Pete Cruz said...

Oh my goodness. This is the sweetest post. My eyes teared up reading this. So genuine. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You deserve it!