Today is not a typical Monday.
But sometimes that's better, right?
My attitude wasn't the greatest waking up this morning {may have something to do with waking up to a certain kitten vomiting in the kitchen.}
The girls were at the top of their naughty game this morning. Attitudes all around.
9 am and I ask Sugar to sit down with me to start school. She begins to cry.
"I hate school!" she yells. Some disciplinary action followed.
My normally mellow, easy going kid was having "a moment." I let her go about playing with her sister and decided this was not a battle I really wanted to get into. With none of our attitudes being what they should be, I didn't want school to be a fight this morning.
I've had an idea floating in my head for awhile and decided that, while I had some free time, I should just put the idea into action. I grabbed a picture frame, a Sharpie and a couple of pieces of scrapbook paper. I sat down at the table and put the Sharpie to the paper.
In no time I had two little girls who wanted to sit at the table too.
Sugar asked if they could color.
I got out blank coloring paper and the crayons and they went to town. Sugar did some school on her own even though she didn't realize it. She was writing out her numbers, saying them aloud and showing them to me.
After she was through with her numbers I asked her to draw a picture for me and then tell me the story about the picture.
She sits for a minute and then goes to work. Finally, she's finished and begins to tell me the story behind the picture.
"There once was a little girl who had no mommy or daddy. She didn't have brothers or sisters. And she didn't have aunts or grandmas and grandpas. She had no friends. She was lonely."
Exact words.
I found it rather depressing and didn't know what to say.
"But you know what, Mom? God was with her. Even when she was lonely, He was there. Because He's always with us, right?"
Right.
This five year old. This Kindergartner. She's teaching me. Reminding me.
Even in some of my loneliest times, He is with me.
And He's with you, too.

7 comments:
Awesome! My friend Lindsay calls that a "God wink" :)
and what a sweet reminder it is!! Super cute :)
~Laura
Aww, I like what Kristie said.. I'll have to remember that one.
Glad your Monday was redeemed. She is a cutie. :)
I love it! We have a lot to learn from our kids, no?
I wish I was back in kindergarten!! Apparently you're way smarter at 5 than 50. I love that kid.
Awwww! Boy can we learn from our children!!
What a great idea to sit down & start doing something "on their level" & then they jumped right into it. No confrontation either!!!
I'm glad your morning turned around.
I love it when your blog comes up on my dashboard since that means a new post is up. I really enjoy reading your blog. :)
I have tears. That's wonderful. So awesome. I'm giving Jaylee a mental hug right now.
Post a Comment