Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No Towel, Need Sleepy

(Tommy Boy reference)

I've just decided that I'll never get a full night of sleep again until I'm dead.

Dead, I say.

The night my mom took Spice I had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head that I would actually sleep without the little rugrat here.

My neighbor, on the other hand, well he had a different idea.

They have five vehicles.  Two adults live there but they own five vehicles.  (who am I to talk, we have five vehicles, too.)

Ouch.  (truck and car for sale!)

Anyway.

At 3:30 in the A! M! the neighbor decides to start his loudest truck.  The truck that doesn't run very well unless your foot is on the throttle.  And so he has his foot on the throttle, revving it up.  For approximately 15 minutes.

At 3:30 in the A! M!

I couldn't fall back to sleep until nearly 6.  Because once I've been woken up my mind starts racing.  Everything I need to get done the next day.  Everything I didn't do the day before.  I remember conversations I had that I wish I hadn't or remember conversations I didn't have that I wished I did.  I remember that I didn't clean the jelly up off the counter or rinse the toothpaste out of the sink.

And I remember I didn't kill that one spider because, well he won't hurt anyone way up there (and because Josh couldn't come home to kill it for me.)

But that probably means the spider is now lowering his nasty little self down from the ceiling and into my hair.

You see.  I think about important stuff at 3:30.  When the sun is still asleep and so are the neighbor's roosters.

At least for another 30 minutes because I guess 4 is when they think the sun has come up even though it really hasn't.

When my mom came to get Spice the other day she informed me that I looked tired. 

Or sick.

Well, surprise, freaking surprise since I am sick and tired of being tired.

I want to stay in a hotel room where there aren't any children allowed on the floor I'm staying in.  I don't want anyone to come fluff my pillow or offer to clean my room.  I just want sleep.

But if that's too much to ask for I'll take an IV filled with Starbucks, please.

2 comments:

Cooper Family said...

see...you could totally write a book. a whole funny chapter on sleep as a mom!

Sam said...

I had my second baby two months ago (my oldest just turned 2yrs) and every day I say I want to go to a hotel without children for 24 hours. Just 24 quiet hours to myself in a hotel. It sounds so luxurious.