Monday, February 28, 2011

Summer

It's a rainy, windy Monday.  Rain is okay with me.

Wind, is not.

I'm needing me some Summer.  Sugar was born on the first day of Summer.  That was an awesome way to kick off my Summer that year.

I'm so ready for sunshine and warmth all day long.  I'm ready for capris (I don't like shorts) and strappy, sandal-y shoes.  Mostly flip flops.  I'm ready to push my girls on the swing set in the pasture.  I'm ready to garden (even though I stink at it) and get my hands dirty in the soil.

I love to be barefoot.

I'm looking forward to evenings on the deck in front of our ridiculous redneck wood stove.

I'm ready for bike rides and camping trips (did I say that out loud?) and maybe some hiking here and there (hiking? who am I?)

I love barbecues (cookouts) and the sunset at 9 pm.

I love that my girls are still young enough to run around outside in their skivvies.  (some may not agree that we let them do that but i say let them be little while they are little.  soon enough that sweet innocence is gone.)

I'd love to be at the beach several times this summer.  I love walking in the sand, water washing over my feet.  (I don't like sand any place else, though. Not even a little.)

Our house has large maple trees out front and during the summer they look awesome.  Great for shade but mostly I love the coziness when I pull into our driveway.

Summer means I get to mow the lawn and our acre of pasture.  I know some people hate it, but I truly love to mow the lawn.  It's down time to me.  I can sing, think, pray or just space out. 

Another reason I love warm weather?  Windows down in the car, wind blown hair, sweaty, wrinkly shirts and the radio up.  I'd much rather be wind blown and wrinkly over having the air conditioner on.  I thank my mom for that.

What do you love about Summer?  Or if you aren't a Summer fan *gasp* what's your favorite season and why?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I love summer too:

BBQs, chacos, bikini tops, shorts, camping, fun lines (better known as tan lines), swimming, strawberries, radlers,
all things Leavenworth: mtn biking, road biking, hiking, running, afternoons on the river, reading a good book, or simply lounging, laughing with friends.
An ice cold bottle of beer during or after any of the LVW fun listed above.

Eating the fruits of our springtime labor from the garden.

Waking up to sunshine and the long, warm evenings - especially on weeknights - after work,
lessened traffic on I-5, drinks on city decks, and commuting home on my bike via the Burke - such a great way to leave the office.

Most of the things listed above are a result of sun and warmth - bring on Summer! This girl is ready.

denise said...

I looove the long days of summer. And opening the windows in our house to let in the fresh air. And taking my girl to the water playground. And fresh produce - from the market or the garden.