{You know, when you're about to cry but don't wanna and your eyes well up and your nose burns?} Yeah. Nose Sting.
Spice came down the stairs yesterday morning in tears. When I asked her why she was crying, her response broke my heart.
"I miss *sob* Maugiieee."
Maugie is my mom.
The crying stopped as soon as I asked if she wanted to call her. Her eyes lit up and she sniffed but smiled the smile only Spice can give.
She and my mom talked for a bit and that was enough to calm my sweet babe.
Later in the day my mom sent a text saying the box I'd sent her had made it. Inside was a gift I'd left unwrapped. Something I knew she'd love more than anything else she'll open in that box.
A little wooden thing I got from Hobby Lobby that has Snoopy and Charlie Brown on it. My mom, she loves Peanuts. As soon as I saw it, I knew I'd have Sugar color it for my mom.
My mom loved it, of course.
I knew that she would.
Her text was full of emotion.
And I steeled myself not to cry.
But that nose sting was there.
In my busying of "stuff to get done before my surgery" I had it in my head that I needed to get our spare room ready for my mom to come stay for Christmas Eve as she has the last coupla years. I was thinking of ways to make the room special for her. Thinking about what dishes I was going to make that I'd need to make sure I kept the onions out of. I was thinking about how I'd be neglected during any conversation because her and Josh talk so much. And that we needed to bring the rocking chair downstairs so she had a place to rock. Because my mom, she needs to have a chair that rocks.
And then as quickly as all those thoughts ran through my head I realized something that hurt my heart and made my nose sting again.
She won't be here for Christmas this year.
But yesterday it dawned on me. It's not just hard on me. Or just hard on my kids.
It's hard on her, too.
I'm going to miss her something fierce tomorrow night when we're opening up our jammies around the tree with Christmas music playing softly in the background. Kids exhausted but wild with excitement.
But I know she'll be missing us.
I bet it makes her nose sting just a little too.
3 comments:
Oh Sarah, I have goosebumps and a nose sting too with blurried eyes, but I can't cry I'm at work!
What a sweet gift to buy your Mom. You are very thoughtful........
I so wish your Mom was going to be there for the holidays.
(((((hugs))))) to you and your family and wishing you the best Christmas in spite of the short comings. love,amee
www.amee2.blogspto.com
Oh my goodness...I'm bawling. Sitting here with my kidlets watching Charlie Brown reading your blog and I just miss mom so much. I'm so so glad that she has someone, but I miss her. With a mad fierceness. I love you so much. We will start traditions of our own and become grown ups after all!
I'm so lame, I just read this post today. You have no idea all the "nose stings" I've had over Christmas. I miss you all so much. The reason I read this today is because Bill said he didn't know how much I love rocking chairs, I asked him how he knew that and he fessed up. He reads your blog you know. I'm hoping it won't be long and we will all be together again. 13 days until visit!! I love you.
Post a Comment