Thursday, February 16, 2012

It happened so fast

Sunday we took a little road trip to Bend, OR.

We stopped at a gas station to use the restroom but it was occupied forever so we drove across the street to Wal Mart.  I'd shudder here but it's Wal Mart in Bend.  Not Wal Mart of my town so there was no need to shudder.

As we leave, Sugar wants to start running in the parking lot(!?) and I quickly told her that wasn't a good idea.  She slows down and is about a step in front of me, so close in fact I nearly stepped on her heels.  We are two cars away from our van when a Subaru Legacy starts to back out.

I immediately threw my body against Sugar's, slamming her into our van and I just stayed there for a second.  I turned around and saw a wide-eyed teenage girl.  She'd braked and just stayed put.  Both of us were freaked out.  My first response as a mama (or any protective human being) was to be angry but I could see in this girl's eyes she didn't mean to, she honestly just didn't see my little girl.

She rolled down her window and could hardly get her words out.

"I'm so...I'm so sorry.  I just didn't...see her."

I told her everything was fine.  I gave her a reassuring smile and put Sugar in the van.

Then I got in my seat and I lost it.  All the what ifs started playing in my mind.

But none of the what ifs matter.  Sugar's safe and for that, this mama is thankful.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Sometimes there's just nothing else to do but lose it after you have held it together.

Dory said...

holy crap! You had *my* heart pounding! Glad you're both safe and sound. AND that the girl seemed genuinely apologetic. She may have gone home and broke down at her own What-Ifs.

Never "Society" Norm said...

Those close calls are so scary. I am glad she is okay. Thank God for His provision in this.

Wendy said...

Like daughter like mother? (Sorry, bad joke -- I'm glad you are both OK).

HolyMama said...

oh!

OH.

I'm so glad. so, SO relieved.