Friday, March 23, 2012

Another move out of my comfort zone

I've been going to the gym for over a year.

I remember in the days leading up to my first time entering those doors, I was sick to my stomach.  So worried people would stare at me.  Laughing at the fat girl.

It wasn't until I'd been there awhile that I realized all these fit men and women may have previously been "the fat girl" or guy.  But, like me, they were doing something about it.  There are some people, like my husband, who are just thin.  Yet he'd be the first to tell you he doesn't feel like he's fit.

I never realized until this last summer that there's a difference between being thin and being fit.  Several years ago when I lost weight before there was no exercise involved.  Just food modification.  At that time in my life I wouldn't have been able to run 7.5 miles without walking the way I did back in May.

So now, after over a year of hard work, getting out of my comfort zone, I am thin.  I'm fit.

And I feel good.

But.

But I realized I'm back in that comfort zone.  I go to Body Flow (tai chi, yoga, pilates) between two and three times per week, I know the peeps in class, I ride my bike but no further than 30 miles, and I've maintained this exact weight since August.

I feel I've gotten into a bit of a rut.

So when my sister asked me to join her at Body Pump a couple of weeks ago I decided to go for it.  Why not.  Some moves, some weights.  I could do that.  Not too much out of my comfort zone but definitely using other muscles.  I liked it.

And then sweet baby sister of mine told me I needed to try Zumba.  Emily's been telling me to try it too.  Easy for these girls to say.  They've got moves.  I've got...nothin'.

Yesterday I decided to go for it.  I mean, why the heck not?

So even though I've been going to the gym for a year, yesterday felt like that first time all over again.  My stomach hurt, I was starting to sweat (and I hadn't even started working out yet!) and panic set in.  What if people made fun of me?  What if I looked like an idiot?

Screw it.

I reminded myself that at least I was doing something.  I coulda been sitting on the couch with my laptop and Oreos.  (oh, like I had been earlier in the day..)

And this is what went on.





I went to Zumba.  I didn't have rhythm.  I looked silly.  But I was there.  Outta my comfort zone.  And I was spending time with my sister.  My sister who can shake it shake it.

All that blabber up there to say - if you aren't happy with where you are physically - do something.  Anything. No one thinks anything of newbies at the gym.  No one is thinking, "look at the fat girl."  No one cares if your shorts are riding up your thighs.

You can do it.  I promise.

1 comment:

denise said...

You know my goal (swimming) and it's soooo stinkin' far out of my comfort zone.

But, heck. If you're willing to do Zumba (and everything else you've done outside your comfort zone the last year+), I can at least get my butt down to the gym to talk to someone about swimming lessons. I'll do it.

I'm logging off blogger right now and heading to my car. Oh, boy...