Friday, June 15, 2012

Let's Get Homeschool-y

While most homeschool families are on summer vacay ours is not.

This is what happens when you procrastinate.  This is what happens when you take too much time off for certain things.

But it's (one of) the beauties of homeschooling.  The flexibility of it.

Josh and I were talking about ways to make things flow a little more smoothly for next year, what would help us with our focus, etc.  Often I would think, "oooh, we can go do something in the morning and we'll just school later."  And then later would come but school would not.

I'm not a structured person.  I'm very fly by the seat-a my pants.  My girls, I've noticed, are not like this.  They go with my flow, but they don't like it.  So, while I can be fly by the seat-a my pants for me, I can't be like that for them.  Our days must have more structure to them.

I think it's going to be good.  For all of us.

Just might be a bit rough for my flighty nature.

4 comments:

Ms. LaSalle said...

Hi there!

I am not a homeschooling mom, but I am a teacher and I can tell you, structure matters! The kids ALWAYS do better when they know what to expect and when to expect it. You are learning as you go--I am sure. =)

My best friend homeschooled 10 kids at various times, so I know what a challenge it is. There is always next year to make some improvements.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Ms. LaSalle said...

Hi there!

I am not a homeschooling mom, but I am a teacher and I can tell you, structure matters! The kids ALWAYS do better when they know what to expect and when to expect it. You are learning as you go--I am sure. =)

My best friend homeschooled 10 kids at various times, so I know what a challenge it is. There is always next year to make some improvements.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Ms. LaSalle said...

Sorry for posting twice. I took a field trip with my 4th graders today and apparently, my brain has melted.

Never "Society" Norm said...

We have found the same thing with time of day and school time. After trying "afternoon" school a couple times, I refuse to let the morning go by without getting our schooling done. They like the structure, I like the structure, AND their little brains are fresh for the day. : ) I know many people who can fly by the seat of their pants and be fine school wise, but I am just not one of them. ; ) Best wishes on your school year, Sarah!