We had an assembly one day, everyone met in the gym, we sat in those bleachers that just kill your rear and we listened to a man talk to us about love, purity, dating and a little about marriage. He never came out and said (probably because it's not allowed in schools much anymore) but I believe this man loved the Lord. I don't remember much of what he said but a main point he made has stuck with me all these years.
Love is a choice.
Not a feeling.
He said that if love were a feeling, when we woke up in the morning next to our spouse, we wouldn't love them because of their morning breath.
His definition for love was, "choosing the highest good for the other person."
"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." 1 John 4:11
Am I loving my husband? Am I choosing the highest good for him? I tell myself, "of course I'm loving him, for crying out loud, he has clean clothes doesn't he? Or does he? I make him dinner every night...that counts for something doesn't it?" I realized that I have so many areas where I need to grow. Choosing the highest good for him would be to show him I love him in a way that speaks to him. Something my husband would absolutely love is if I made him breakfast every morning. UGH!!! I am sooo not a morning person. But I think maybe to choose the highest good for him, to show him I love him, I'm going to start.
Would you pray I wake up at 6 a.m. every morning to make pancakes and eggs?
Lord bless and keep you all.
1 comment:
In order to acheive you must first set goals! Good for you in choosing to do something just to honor your hubby! Good luck on the 6 am thing...not a real morning person here either!
Post a Comment