*Bowing*
*Standing up on podium, waving*
*Courteous nods to the crowd*
"Thank you, ladies...gentlemen...I would just like to thank you all for your support of my build-a-bench-by-myself. I'm so freakin' pleased to announce I tackled that bad boy all by myself. I didn't need the help of any man. Yes, I may have let a few unholy words slip from my mouth, I may have had to step outside a time or 12 to cool off and yes, I may have stripped a few screws, but by golly, I got'er done."
"By myself."
*Crowd stands, cheering wildly*
*I'm blushing*
In all honesty...I did get it complete. It was a good thing there was no large hammer around because if there had been, oh boy...I'd probably not only be minus a bench but several windows and possibly a child.
It fits perfectly where I want it. It matches the rest of my living room. It loves me. I love it.
Why do I have such in an issue with doing things myself? Well, sit back...I have a story to tell.
Not really, but growing up in a house with just my mom and two younger sisters, there wasn't a man around to "get the job done." My mom did it or I did it. We made do. Sure, there were tears involved. So much frustration because there wasn't a man to do it. But once the task (whatever it may have been) was complete, we could sit back and laugh about how it took Mom three hours to get the Christmas tree trunk cut off and put in the stand. A sense of accomplishment and pride wells in you when you've done something that usually only a man can do.
When tools are involved it's easy for us girls to think, "oh, I'll leave it for my man" or, "guess I won't be able to do it." Hog wash chicks! We may not be as strong but we are just as capable. It may take us a lil longer but the job can still be done. It's about persevering. Staying strong. It's about wanting to do it. Being proud of yourself enough to know you can.
I loved it when my husband walked in the door and saw that I had built the bench all by myself.
Go make your man proud. Go do something you've been asking him to do. Even if you get in over your head...you've manipulated him to help you finish it. ;)
1 comment:
Wohoo! The bench is complete! There will be plenty of other things for Josh to build/fix in the future! Sometimes its just nice to do something for yourself! A little independence never hurt anyone! I'm sure he was happy to remove that from his "Honey Do" list!
Post a Comment