Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's not about the accuracy

About a week or so before Christmas, I saw this post. Her blog is titled "Thoughts from an Overthinker" and I really do believe it suits her.

While reading this post though I was really hit hard with what she said. And I began wondering, why do we celebrate Jesus' birthday in December? Why are nativity scenes shown with the wisemen there?

I was really bothered.

I talked to my mom about it on Christmas Eve before our church service and she advised me to just ask Pastor Tony. There were quite a few people at church and he seemed busy, so I decided not to ask.

I didn't need to.

When Pastor Tony got up to pray before our service started, one of the first things he said was that the day, the season, was not about the accuracy.

Then, after some Christmas songs, and the Men's Choir, Pastor Tony got back up to share a bit.

He said again that Christmas is not about getting hung up on the accuracy of when Jesus was born. He said more than celebrating His birth, we need to celebrate His death and resurrection! Amen!

I was so overwhelmed. I know that the message wasn't just for me that night but it really felt like it. I was just so thankful to Jesus for answering my questions. He's always so loving in the way He teaches us.

**********************

We had a great Christmas. Well, it was great after we made the trip to a sleazy little mini-mart to get a gallon of milk because I had forgotten to get some the day before. I was glad that it was a sleazy mini-mart because they didn't care that I was wearing my nightgown and ragged slippers in there.

Josh gave me a new paper cutter, that I desperately needed. The measurements on my old one were off, so my scrapbook layouts wouldn't come out right and I'd get a lil peeved. He also gave me an attachment to my KitchenAid mixer. I shredded a 2 lb. brick of cheese in about 37 seconds last night, it was beautiful!

We gave Jaylee some clothes and the game Don't Spill the Beans. She calls it "Bob" and the only reason I can come up with is that the bowl for the beans is red and looks a little like Bob the tomato from Veggie Tales. But, who knows, maybe she's just a dork like her mama.

The greatest gift was a phone call from Treena, my sister-in-law. We're talking about the gifts we've received and then all of a sudden, she's in my driveway! Her family came from Portland and the surprise was so much fun. They're coming this weekend to celebrate Christmas but they wanted to visit for the day. Loved it.

I didn't take pictures with my digital camera, so I'll have to share them with you after they are developed.

I hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Patzke's said...

It was worth the lack of sleep to come up and surprise everyone. Fun to hang out for the day.

Kristie said...

so glad you had a great day! See you on New Year's!

Corie said...

Oooh, love the new layout!

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! 2 lb. brick of cheese in 37 seconds- pretty quick! :)

Erica Lynn said...

I just sent you an e-mail asking about your Christmas. You can disregard it. Where did you get your layout, I love it! I like "The Overthinker"'s blog. I'm gonna post some Christmas pictures later on, some of 'em are pretty good. This is the longest "comment" I've ever left. I should try and fill up all of this space and then I would win. I would win the longest comment award. Then I would be the best! I wonder how many words you can fit in here. I'm running out of things to say. Maybe it goes on forever and ever. I went down to the bottom and it goes on for a pretty long while. I don't think I'm going to fill up all of that space. I'll go now.