Last night we went to Trevor and Megan's for a birthday party for their youngest. He's my future son-in-law and I love him dearly.
I don't necessarily love the fact I'll be stuck with Trevor for the rest of my life, but whatev. You win some, you lose some. ;)
(kidding, Trevor...mostly)
The girls came home with two balloons apiece.
This morning one of Spice's balloons pops. Immediately she's bawling.
"Iiit's not fair. Jaylee has two balloons and I only have one. She should give me one."
HOLD THE PHONE.
We don't do fair around these parts. Sorry, children, Mama doesn't wanna set you up for disappointment, so let's just lay it out here real quick like.
Again.
LIFE IS NOT FAIR.
So I told my distraught four year old, "You can continue crying and nothing will change, you will still only have one balloon. OR, you can choose to work, make some money and buy your own balloons."
I will not raise my children believing that just because someone has more than they do that it isn't fair. I will raise my children believing that if they want something, they need to work for that thing that they want.
Even if it's balloons.
1 comment:
I think you are doing the right thing. More people should've been taught this.
Post a Comment