It's amazing how powerful those four words are.
Armed with a grocery list, $400 cash and Starbucks I set out for Fred Meyer, Costco, Wal Mart, Winco and Yokes. I figured between these five stores I'd be able to find all the ingredients for this new way of eating for our family. Allergy free.
By store number four I pulled my cart to the side of the aisle and I stood there. There was not much cash left and this was the store most of my ingredients would come from. Yet I wasn't finding them. I was so overwhelmed I wanted to cry.
The last week had been pretty awful and it was all coming to a head in a public place.
My eyes got watery. My nose started to sting. I was about to lose it in WinCo.
I'm not sure how I got my act together but I managed to not spill a tear. I continued shopping and when all was said and done I spent $486 and still didn't find everything I needed.
$486 dollars. Nearly two hundred over our regular budget for food and nearly a hundred over what I thought I'd need. I knew that it would cost extra for this month so I gave myself a $100 extra. Gluten Free shampoo, conditioner and lotion aren't cheap. The flours aren't either. None of it is.
It's just a lot. A lot of work. A lot of money. A lot of everything I don't have.
And then there was the text from Jessica.
"You can do it."
And I took a deep breath and thought maybe she's right. Maybe I can.
So. Here we go. Ready or not. And I'm so not.
2 comments:
My mother had to change everything for my brother. He had to have free & clear laundry soap (not common 12yrs ago), no softener or dryer sheets. He had aveeno oatmeal lotions & other products we weren't allowed to use. We just had to adapt to stiffer towels. In that aspect, you can totally do this. Helps on cost if entire family doesn't use the spendy stuff.
However, I don't know what to say about food. My brother got foods he can eat but he's a horrible picky eater and hasnt grown out of it. So kudos to you for having whole family adjust. That'll help make her feel better. :) remember its just the first month. You have plenty others to hone it better. Keep your chin up, mind open, & nose in recipe books! :)
When I got home from Japan, I cannot tell you how much better my body felt. Over there, they have fresh food- nothing processed. So I had access to fresh food for 2 straight weeks.... and the difference was incredible.
My stomach didn't hurt. I didn't have indigestion or acid reflux. I didn't notice how my body was responding to food until that trip.
I'm not surprised to hear how expensive it is but I think when you start noticing a difference in how your body feels you'll be all about it!!
And you can do it!
Post a Comment