Tuesday, February 27, 2007

You're not as bad as you think you are

This may be longwinded. You've been warned.

Have you done some terrible things in your life? Things only you know? Have you done things you're even scared to confess to the Lord?

Me too.

This isn't an easy post to write. Not at all. But when I started my blog I wanted it to be somewhat of a ministry. Not sure it's been that but maybe it has its moments.

And maybe this will be one of its moments.

I've screwed up. I've sinned. I've hurt family and friends. And it seems to haunt me. I know I'm forgiven. 1 John 1:9 tells me so. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
However, there are days when the evil one just likes to pester me. Likes to just tell me over and over that because of the sin in my life there is no way I can be a Christian. That I can't be a good wife or a good mother. He tells me that I'll never be able to serve Jesus because of my past.

I've told you about my funks I get in. They almost always start when I let my devotions slide. Once Jesus isn't number one on my list of priorities, Satan knows I'm weak.

On Sunday, Pastor Tony preached 1 Peter 3:1-6. Wives submitting. Having a gentle and quiet spirit. The whole time I'm thinking, "I'm not gentle and I'm most definitely not quiet! How can I do this, Lord?!" And while I'm doubting myself, the evil one steps in again and tells me that this can't be me. I will never be this woman who is precious in the sight of God.

After church, I was a little down. Didn't say much to Josh. I don't like telling him that I get lost in my own thoughts during service. Embarrassed to admit I sometimes don't hear the entire sermon because I have conversations in my head. A lil embarrassed to be admitting it to you! But, this is on my heart so heavily to share, so there you have it. Sometimes during service I don't hear the entire sermon! Feels good to get that out there!

Anyway. Moving on.

We're in bed last night and before we shut out the lights, out of nowhere Josh mentions Paul. Says how he thinks it's just amazing that sometimes we feel bad about ourselves and the things we've done. That even though God doesn't measure sin, we as humans still measure sin (ours and others). We see a lie as a sin but a murder as a bigger sin. So, Josh says that no matter what we've done, we can still be effective for the Lord.

Because look at Paul. Paul killed Christians!

And then became one!

You may have done some terrible, awful things in your life. Maybe even today. But Jesus forgives. He died for all sin. Yours and mine. Don't let the things of your past haunt you and eat you alive.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Cor. 5:17

Your past has passed away.

You are new.

You are precious in the sight of God.

No comments: