Home for 47 hours and then we were headed back out. Josh drove until one am, getting us to the Boise Stage Stop, it's an infamous truck stop in our books.
When Josh was OTR about six years ago he had our Beagle with him. Bailee loved truckin'. She had gone with him for the week and the two of them stopped at Boise Stage because the wind was blowing the tarps off the hay and Josh needed to fix them.
He took Bailee up on the load with him and hay is a very tall load. She was galavanting around when the wind blew her off the truck! She fell about 13 feet. Josh said she limped a bit and he was watching her while he finished with the tarp.
When he was done she was nowhere to be found.
He looked for and called for her for an hour.
No Bailee.
He called me, heartbroken. He couldn't find her but he had to leave.
It was over five hours from our home but I got in the car and drove to the BS stop. I got there after midnight and called for her. Weaving in and out of parked semi trucks with my flashlight.
Nothing.
I sat in my car for a bit trying to warm up and then got back out.
Still nothing.
I was a bawling, blubbering mess.
I gave up and drove home.
Someone suggested we put an ad in the Boise paper, so I did.
Josh and I would talk on the phone that day our hearts so sad and I know he felt so bad.
The next morning at 6 am I got a phone call.
Someone saw my ad and an ad similar, with a found Beagle. They gave me the number and I called immediately.
They had my girl!
He asked me her name and I told him.
"Yep, that perked her ears!" he tells me. I was crying all over again.
They had found her the next day sleeping on the side of the road. It took them half an hour to coax her into their car. She slept all day he said.
We agreed to meet mid afternoon since I had another long drive ahead of me.
I got to the gas station before they arrived and bought Bailee a hotdog and bottle of water. She acknowledged me but that was the extent of it.
She stared out the window the whole way home. Like I was the one who let her fall!
We drove home and Josh was still OTR but man, when he pulled up the driveway she was stoked. She was always his dog.
It was a miracle we got her back.
So, that's why the Boise Stage Stop is an infamous place for us.
As I type we are waiting to hear back about where we are headed next.
I'll keep ya posted!
-- Post From My iPhone
2 comments:
Great story ~ Should be in a James Herriot book!!
Not sure I'd go back twice for my kid let alone a dog... Thats BGP's right there
Post a Comment