Sunday, June 28, 2009

Looking on the Bright Side

My oh my.

It was a good thing I renewed my license when I did. I may have been 22 days late renewing it, but I was just in time!

Just in time for what? You ask...

Just in time to be pulled over!

Blech.

I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

And in these here parts of Washington, that's a $124 fine.

Blech.

I totally knew it was coming. Josh had just dropped me off at the suburban at the truck stop in town. The girls and I had gone on a mini-run with him and we were now on our way home.

I pull up to the stop light, there's a car behind me but in behind me, whips an unmarked car.

My heart started racing. Hands shakin' a bit. I knew it was because I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I've had this happen before.

On three OTHER occasions.

(so I'm not a fan of wearing a seat belt...I almost always end up putting it on sometime while I'm driving, it's just not always my first thought. and...it's never an option for my kids, they ALWAYS have theirs on.) (at least while we're in the car.)

I had just renewed my license. Like hours before. So, my new one hasn't arrived yet. I tell the officer this. He just looks at me.

"You can renew online?"

"Aren't you the cop?" (fear not, I didn't say this.) (but I was totally thinking it)

He takes all my information back to his special little undercover car. I send Josh a text letting him know I'll be a minute, and I also mighta FB'd that I was getting pulled over. Seat belts may not be my priority but FaceBook sure is!

He comes back and tells me it's my lucky day, sure enough you can renew online.

Who knew!? Me!

I was given a ticket.

Blech.

But the nice thing about it? It could have and would have been such a higher ticket had I not renewed my license that day.

So, instead of kickin' myself over the dumb ticket, I'm choosing to be excited that it wasn't $500 but $124.

And I'm totally requesting a court date in hopes that they'll reduce my fine. That's a big deal for me because who knows where the front door to the courthouse is?! =)

4 comments:

Growin' With It said...

that *short of breathe-wanna vomit-i'm going to jail* feeling..oh yeah...been there. i've gotten one ticket in my life (watch me get one this week for braggin') but it feels like it was yesterday when i think about it. ugg.

hmm, did i encourage you on that post that it was no big deal to be late on renewing...double ugg!

glad you survived!

Kristie said...

holy moly girl!! Hopefully they will reduce your fine!!

Never "Society" Norm said...

Glad you are able to look at that "bright" side of not getting a higher ticket. Hope the judge reduces it for ya!=)

Anonymous said...

If you would have come to visit me maybe you wouldn't have gotten a ticket. ; ) Treena