I received a book for Christmas, well, I received three books for Christmas but I saved this one for last because I knew that it would be one to teach me, one that I'd want to linger on awhile.
I'm only 30 pages in and I feel the Lord speaking to my heart. Honestly, I love and hate when that happens. I hate to see areas where I'm failing but love how gently the Lord shows me where I need to improve.
The author, whose name I can't think of at the moment, recalls a story of one day where, at the end of her day she realizes she had served her husband but had not enjoyed him. It was a busy day for her. He had called to see how she was doing and she spoke quickly and ended their conversation pretty fast. Later in the day she had dropped off his clothes at the cleaner, gone to the bank and some other errands I believe and then stopped at his office to let him know the rest of her plans for the day, but she kept the visit brief.
She said she realized at the end of the day, that while she had served him (clothes to the cleaners and other errands) she had not enjoyed him. She didn't take time to converse with him on the phone when he'd called her and had not taken much time for him at his office either.
How often have I done this?!
So often.
There are times where I'm so proud of myself for the chores I've gotten done throughout the day and I pat myself on the back that dinner is literally on the table when he walks in the door. But there are evenings where we'll have dinner, I'll finish my food and instead of lingering at the table to talk about his day, I'll get up and start on dishes or throw laundry in or read a book.
Yes, I've served my husband.
But I've not enjoyed him.
I'm looking forward to reading more and learning more. I'm looking forward to enjoying my husband, enjoying serving him.
3 comments:
impressed that you are on your third book since Christmas! glad that you are enjoying this last one.
Sounds like a great book! You'll have to share the name of it!!!
I'm sure I could benefit from reading it.
I love it! What book is this? I do this quite often as well. Thanks for the post!
Post a Comment