Sunday, March 27, 2011

Random was an Order

I've won a coupla awards in my life.

The first was an award for best Valentine's Box when I was in Kindergarten.  (the part of Kindergarten I spent in Phoenix, AZ)

The next award was for best colored picture in middle school.  I won a Pepsi and Snickers.

Then came that fantastic award my Senior year of High School.  "Most Likely to be Seen on Jerry Springer." {such a proud moment on my part}

And then when I worked at Pier 1, it was, "Most Likely to Provide Comic Relief." {still have the award to prove that I AM funny!}

Excellent awards, no?

It's nice.  I was just saying the other day how I don't get any recognition 'round these parts and BAM!  I get an award for:
veratile blogger

Kelsey blogs over at HolyMama! and was one of the very first blogs I read when I started my own 4.5 years ago.  I love how real she is.  I love that she doesn't cook(wish I could get away with that).  I love that she has a housekeeper.  And I really appreciate her love for mud.

To accept this award I have to tell you 7 random things about me.  Here's HM's randoms.  And with all the random posts I give you I'm not sure any of them will be new to you.  So, eh, here goes:

I have always, always wanted to be a bartender.  I'm not entirely sure why since drunk people aren't necessarily my favorite but the bar atmosphere is pretty fun.  My mom was a bartender when I was younger and she loved her job.  Maybe that's why?  Anyway, I was recently at a sports bar and since I wasn't drinking any more than my one beer I decided to busy myself and clean up our table and the tables around me.  I took glasses, pitchers and food baskets up to the bar and cleaned up napkins and junk off the floor.  The bartender offered me a job application.  I laughed.  I'd like to believe I would have had the job had I applied.  Which I didn't.  So, yeah, first random fact:  I've always wanted to be a bartender.

(totally struggling to come up with a second thing you may not already know.)

(Josh keeps listing stuff and I'm like, "yeah, they know."  "yeah, they know that too.")

I have a scar on my left shin.  It's a little hole.  That hole fits well with the reason I have the scar.  I was maybe 7.  My mom and step dad were looking for work and home for us in Seattle.  I lived in Gview with my grandma and aunts.  My mom would visit on the weekends or whenever she could.  One day when she was leaving I was chasing after her, crying.  I didn't want her to leave.  I tripped down the steps and landed on some rocks.  One of them embedded into my shin, leaving my scar.  I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for my mom to leave us the way she had to.  Just cannot imagine.

I'm scared of spiders and mice.


I've used a plastic bag as a restroom.

My dream date consists of a warm, rainy day.  A walk, hand in hand.  Starbucks.  And a book store.  You all might already know this but ahem, someone else may not...

I got my first hickey when I was 15. (hey, the rules said seven random things)  That is wrong.  Just plain wrong.  Want to hear the story?  Okay, good. We were hanging out.  Then we were (obviously) kissing and more than I remember kissing, I remember that a Full House rerun was on and Uncle Joey was talking in one of his funny voices.  Obviously a very memorable make-out session.  PS, I totally got caught with my hickey as will any teenager who gets a hickey.

My almost three year old is still in diapers.  Not only that, she will only wear a particular diaper now.  It has to have Mickey and Minnie on it.  Not just the ones with Mickey on the front.  HAS TO BE BOTH OF 'EM.  And she'll cry if you don't give in.  So you give in.  And then when you're done changing her she says, "thank you fur dahper change, Mama."  And so you want to change her dahper forever because she's so polite about it.

One time when I was about 8 months pregnant with Sugar I got stuck in the mud.  Not my car or anything like that.  Me.  I was literally stuck in mud.  My sister and my friend Keri and I were out driving in my cute little Lancer listening to music, windows down and singing at the top of our lungs.  We're driving down the road and we see this HUGE mound of dirt in the road.  In.the.road.  Of course I stop the car because we had first planned to see who could be King of the Mountain (yes, in all my 8 month pregnant glory I was all about climbing a huge mound of dirt) but once we got to the top of the mound we saw that it was actually a pit.  A pit of mud.  We thought it would be fun to put our feet in.  Then we thought it would be fun to put our legs in. And then I couldn't help myself.  I just had to get all the way in.  But then I got stuck.  And my sister and Keri couldn't pull my pregnant butt out of the mud.  And then it started pouring rain.  I was laughing so hard.  It was like my favoritest day ever.  We flagged down a car and asked the guy if he had a cell phone we could borrow.  I called Josh and explained our situation.  When he showed up and saw me we busted up.  He had to pull me out and then he made all three of us sit in the back of his pick-up while it poured rain.  When we got home he hosed us off and I felt a little like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy.

My driver's license says I'm 5'3".  Total lie.  I'm only 5'2".  But when I was 16 I really hoped I'd grow 1 more inch.  Now I'm thankful I didn't because 5+2=7 and I'm freakish with numbers and prefer 5'2" over 5'3" because that would add up to 8.  A number I don't necessarily care for.

Okay, that made 7.

I'm supposed to list a bunch of versatile blogs now.  But I don't read a bunch I'd deem "versatile" so here's the few that came to mind.

This & That.  Head there, stat.  Love these girls.  Need design work done, GO!  They rock.

Peroxide Designs.  The chick kills me.  I've never "met" anyone who has such an awesome way with words.

Stuttering Shell.  We were separated at birth.  Thousands of miles separate us and it's ridiculous.  One day I believe we will hang out with our iced hazelnut breves and Blue Moons.

Um, that's all I'm coming up with at the moment.

Thank you, Kelsey, for the award!  Feelin' lurved.

3 comments:

HolyMama! said...

That is THE best mud story EVER. Awesome.

Your secret fantasy job is bartender? That's cute. You should make it happen one day. My secret fantasy job is doing any sort of roadside labor that involves operating a large yellow piece of machinery. SO MANY TIMES i have wanted to ask one of those guys if they'd let me ride with them for awhile and 'help.' I know, like I'm 4 or something. I haven't done it yet, but I suspect I can't hold out much longer!

You did so great - I'm off to visit your sites now!

Anonymous said...

Love that you actually did put that story in there...and the fact that you added the last part in bold. Not sure if that was directed toward anyone in particular but don't worry, I'll take your advice.... and make sure I don't get caught!
haha kidding...
maybe...

Love, bree

Unknown said...

Hey soul sister!! :) I just saw this. I've been soooooooo bad with the blog lately...stupid grad school. :(

I'll post my 7...promise!