Thursday, March 03, 2011

{I am anything but} Glamorous

My alarm used to go off and I'd groan.

Sleepily throwing my hand on and smashing the snooze button.

Just nine more minutes.

Then.

I'd brush my teeth.

Shower.

Pick out a dressy casual outfit.

Put on my make up.

Scrunch up my short hair.

Take a look in the mirror.

And head out the door.  Leaving my house in disarray.  My house, though I loved it...I never felt adequate.

I got inside my little red Mitsubishi Lancer, cranked the Country music and drove 35 miles to work.

I took my exit, a little too fast.  Took my first right and swung through the backside of the Target parking lot.  I pulled into my usual parking spot in front of Pier 1 imports.  Checked my makeup in the mirror.  Glanced at my cell phone, always 20 minutes early.

Enough time to grab a coffee from across the parking lot, talk to the stand owner and then open up the store.

The moment I walked into that store I no longer felt inadequate.  I was where I belonged.  I knew what was expected of me and I daily met or exceeded those expectations.

Lights. On.

Music. On.

Check our numbers from the same day last year.

See who I had working with me for the day.  And smile because it was Dana, a 19 year old fresh faced, happy-go-lucky girl.

Schuyler a 19 year old 6'4" kid with a baby.  Flirty, funny Schulyer.

Amie.  Stand-offish.  Attitude.  Heart of gold.

And Alison.  The tall beautiful girl that I didn't want coming to work there because I was just sure she'd be the snobbiest of the snobbies.  But I loved her immediately.  Finally, someone who understood my sarcasm and could take it as well as dish it. 

She was fabulous.  So fabulous, my youngest has her name.

I set our goal for $1000 higher than last year's number and unlocked the doors. 

Ready for customers.

They'd slowly trickle in.

I'd smile.  Tell them good morning and let them browse about five minutes before I approached them.

"I'm supposed to ask for Sarah Lee."  Some of them would say.

And that's when my sales would start.  They'd come in for $25 worth of candles and I'd sell them those candles and a couple of chairs and an end table to match that they hadn't planned to buy.

$1500 to the occasional $6000 days.

I was good at my job.  I loved my job. 

There was recognition.  There were awards.  There were thank yous and well dones.

There was always something to talk about when I got home in the evenings.  You know, if someone was home to listen.  Or, I'd call Josh while he was in Montana or Oregon or Idaho and tell him about my day.

He was proud of me.

"You should sell cars," he'd tell me.  (He even just said this last night)

I was proud of me.

And then my firstborn came along.  I always knew I'd want to be a stay-at-home-mom.  So that's exactly what I've been for six years.

My alarm clock became the cries of a child.  And my dressy casual outfit became sweatpants and a hoodie.

My sporty Lancer turned into a minivan.

And the good jobs and well dones, and the recognition...

Well.

Well they don't exist anymore.

A lot of the time I'm okay with that.  This is my job.  The one I've chosen.

But it's a hard job.

And it's the least glamorous one out there.

I no longer have exciting stories to share. 

And once again, I feel inadequate.

I daily feel I'm not doing enough.  Sure, the house is clean enough, bills are paid, dinner is planned and the kids are still alive at the end of a day.

I know there are woman, those who are mothers and those who are not who would love to be in the position I'm in.  I am sure I sound ungrateful. 

I'm not.

I'm just going through a rough time.

Whether one works outside the home or not, I think at some point we all get a little fed up.

Right now, that's me.  I'm fed up.

Fed up with not being good at this job.  Fed up with the lack of recognition.  The long hours with no overtime pay.  No sick leave or paid vacations.

And in a few days this will pass and I'll be fine again.

But for today I'm dreaming of getting in my little red car and pulling into a familiar parking lot and walking into a building where I know I'm good at what I do.

6 comments:

Never "Society" Norm said...

Oh sweet girl.........You are a wonderful Mommy, and the Lord is storing MANY rewards for you in Heaven. You are sacrificing much right now, and doing the ultimate ministry--leading your little ones to Christ. All so that someday they may lead many others to Christ too. You are a beautiful, wonderful person, and I know that the Lord is smiling down on you and your efforts. ((Hugs)) for you, Miss Sarah!
Love ya!

Sam said...

Oh my gosh, I know how you feel. I feel the exact same way. I'm home with two kids under 2, and I want a "real" job again. I want lunch breaks, adult conversation, a paycheck, to pee without an audience.

Like you, I made this choice and I'm not ungrateful. And like you, I want/need recognition. It's the toughest job in the world and it feels to thankless sometimes.

Thanks for validating stay-at-home moms! :-)

Unknown said...

Love your authenticity! I don't know how you feel...the stay home mom gig...but I know something about the inadequacy syndrome. Hang in there; this too shall pass.

HolyMama! said...

me too.

melissa said...

I just got through going to a very small wedding ceremony where the judge asked the groom where he worked, then asked the bride I'd she worked. She said no. I was floored, you mean to tell me you have two grade schoolers, a ten month old, you are pregnant and have a man you take care of..... and you dont think you work!!!! I almost shouted out, "oh yes she does!" But I had to remember my manners.

The only difference between you and me is I get paid for a job that takes away from my family. I think moms who are willing to sacrifice income, adult convetsation with other women and actual outside contact ROCK! You go, girl.

Kristie said...

thought of you today as I was scrubbing toilets...wishing you were here! I know...I'm weird. Who thinks of people while their scrubbing toilets?? guess I do!

I'm sorry that things are rough right now for you. Hoping this season will pass quickly.

Love you!!

(And just so you know...I may have told you before...I love that every time I come here your comment box says, "Talk to me, Goose" You are the bestest!)