Friday, January 26, 2007

The Perfect Life

Yesterday I rode with Josh on his weekly Thursday route. And while riding, I was thinking about some of the women over at CafeMom and even some that I know outside of CafeMom, that just aren't happy with "their lot in life." I have sooo been there. So much so that it almost cost me my entire family. The grass is not greener on the other side and sadly, some of us have to learn it the hard way. These words just kinda spilled out onto a piece of paper and so...I thought I would share them. Maybe, just maybe it's what you need to hear.
~Sarah

Husband and child are down for the night.
She'd like to put her feet up and let out a sigh,
yet wanders to the kitchen sink, puts her hands in the soap water and lets her mind daydream.


**************************

What if we hadn't married and welcomed a child into our lives?
I could go out dancing every Friday night, instead of waking up every time the baby cries.
I could be out climbing the corporate ladder, instead of building living room forts that only to a four year old matter.
I wouldn't have to get up early to pack my husbands lunch, I'd be able to hit snooze and for an extra nine minutes, pull the covers up.
That outfit in the window would fit me perfectly because there wouldn't be stretch marks or an extra 15 pounds on me.
I could eat my meal before it's cold and not have to wipe any runny nose.
No grease stained shirts to put through the wash or itty bitty baby socks.
I could read a magazine cover to cover without stopping to change a soggy diaper.
Dinner wouldn't have to be on the table at 5:30, instead I could eat when it suited me.

***************************

No more dishes in the sink, snapping her from her daydream.
Tip toes down the hall,
peeking from room to room, careful to make no sound at all.
Sweet faces of her husband and child are a gentle reminder, why she chose not to climb that corporate ladder.
There would be no welcome home kiss to let her man know he'd been missed.
No pudgy baby arms to wrap around her neck so tight.
No man to snuggle up with on the coldest nights.
There would be no slobbery baby kisses or first birthday wishes.
There would be no pictures decorating the fridge,
or, "Mama, look what I did!"
No family picnics at the park, no husband that melts your heart.
No, "I love you Mama," or a husband's sly smile as he says, "do ya wanna?"

**************************

As she locks each door and turns off every light, she stops and smiles.
"I have the perfect life."



1 comment:

Homekeeper Mom said...

That was a lovely and sweet poem!

~Candi (Homekeeper at Heart)