Since I haven't blogged enough today for a months worth of posts, here's another!
This weekend I was around a young mother I've known for quite a while. Neither of her children were "planned" so to speak and she had them both at a pretty young age. They are fairly willful children and if they were mine, I'm sure I'd have a bumper sticker that read, "my children drove me to drink." But that doesn't change the fact that they are still children. And children are needy.
I heard the most heartbreaking words come from this young mom's mouth to her older child, but in the same breath she's praising another child that is not her own. Her young child, not quite three, looked defeated. I'm not going to defend what the child was doing. It was wrong. However, I'm learning that when your child does wrong, deal with it in private. Humiliating your child will not make you a better parent in the eyes of your friends or family. And it will not cause your child to behave any better or trust you-at all.
I want my little girl to know that I believe she's number one. I may love my nieces and my nephews and my friends' children, but she will always be number one to me. I want her to be secure in my love for her. I never want my words to crush her and make her cry out to another mom to take her home with her.
This post most likely makes no sense. I can't find the words to say what I'm wanting to express. My heart was just breaking for this small child. And I wanted to share this story in case there is a parent out there who shows favor to another child besides his/her own and may not have realized it. It's so easy to become blind to our own habits that we can often times forget who those habits hurt the most.
Others.
2 comments:
Amen.
aw, I so understand what you were saying...We all need that reminder from time to time! Thanks for sharing your story! PS, had to look up who you were once you wrote me...I hope you are doing well and making wise decisions! :)
Post a Comment