Monday, August 20, 2007

I need it to Live...

*edited because I put in the wrong amount for what it costs me per year to be human, the original post said $10,700. Yeah, I'm a dork
...okay, maybe not to live, but I need it to be a nice, functional, happy human being. I will be the first to admit, I'm an addict. I don't try to hide the fact. Sometimes I try to hide how much it costs to be an addict of this kind, but there's no hiding that either. It's a spendy lil addiction.

Coffee. Not coffee outta-the-coffee-pot coffee.

Frilly, foofy, spend-way-too-much coffee. From a stand.

A place where these two girls know my name.


I get a really happy feeling when I show up and they say, "Just yours or his too?" They know what I want, what I really really want. Today, I said, "Just mine." And they go to work. Gracie, the girl in yellow, trained me when I worked here 4 years ago. Being a Barista was an awesome job. Hard work. But fun work. In the morning, sometimes you're the first person your customer sees, so it's important to greet them with a smile and "good morning". There were definitely days when I wanted to spit in some drinks but I can honestly say I never did it. I loved my "regulars" and still see some of them around town and we'll chat about their kids, grandkids and pets. Sometimes when we pull up to the stand, there will be a rig in front of us that I recognize, and I'll tell Josh, "hot, skinny, 12 oz. mocha." And he just smiles. Today, while waiting for my coffee I was reminiscing my Daily Buzz days and it was fun. I had such good times there.
Then Patty, the owner, says, "here ya go." She knows I like two skinny straws, not one fat one. And I love that she knows this. Love even more, that she plays along with my silly quirk and gives them to me. I hand her my card, that is completely punched out thus making this drink free. She tells me to "have a good one" and I'm on my way. Now, I'll be nice, functional and happy. It really doesn't take much for that to be. Just $3.25 a day. $97.50 a month. $1,170 a year. Oh my heck! Breaking that down is really ugly. Really. Ugly. So, I'm going to enjoy this coffee, lots because she may be my last.
Okay, admittedly, this probably won't be my last. But I'm vowing to cut back a lil.

2 comments:

amber said...

I have the Cheers theme song in my head now. "where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came...." Guess they don't mention the $10K a year part in the song huh?

Kristie said...

Wow sister that's a lot of coffee! Maybe you can throw a little out of the pot coffee in there a day or two a week!:)